Old Wrasslin' thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Wrasslin' thread

Let's pick up here where the Happy Birthday thread went awry.

It Takes Eleven, here's a quote from the Wiki entry on Yamamoto. I miss old school wrestling.

Wrestling in Boaz, Alabama, Yamamoto gave one of the great performances in pro wrestling. Before the start of the matches, he asked to give a statement to the crowd, which booed and hissed and threw things. In broken English he said, "I wish make aporogy. Very sorry my country bomb Pear-uh Harbor." And the crowd quiets, as he wipes away tears, and they awwww in sympathy. "It wrong thing to do, I wish not happen." They begin to applaud. "Yes, I wish not happen, because instead I wish they BOMB BOAZ!!!" Needless to say, the arena erupted.
    Last edited by Big Balls; 02-09-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

I bought a subscription to the WWE Network last year so my boys could watch a Wresltemania. They didn't really get into it and I didn't know who half the people were. BUT, after doing that I realized there were old archives from all the old territorial wrestling promotions cataloged in order on there. You could watch an NWA match from 1975 and follow along in order from there if you wanted too. I dropped the subscription after about a month or two, but I did watch a few classics before I let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Balls View Post
        Let's pick up here where the Happy Birthday thread went awry.

It Takes Eleven, here's a quote from the Wiki entry on Yamamoto. I miss old school wrestling.

Wrestling in Boaz, Alabama, Yamamoto gave one of the great performances in pro wrestling. Before the start of the matches, he asked to give a statement to the crowd, which booed and hissed and threw things. In broken English he said, "I wish make aporogy. Very sorry my country bomb Pear-uh Harbor." And the crowd quiets, as he wipes away tears, and they awwww in sympathy. "It wrong thing to do, I wish not happen." They begin to applaud. "Yes, I wish not happen, because instead I wish they BOMB BOAZ!!!" Needless to say, the arena erupted.
        Is that a true story? That is hilarious

Comment

Comment

Lol, the guy with the dad bod against the road warriors

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

Is that a true story? That is hilarious
              That was his shtick. He would pull the Pearl Harbor thing all the time, or reference the Emperor. What a showman.

Comment

I tell you, I watch MMA and any wrasslin' production pales in comparison. MMA ain't fake.

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post
                  I tell you, I watch MMA and any wrasslin' production pales in comparison. MMA ain't fake.
                  Yeah but it isn't, and never has been, the "real" thing. Its soap opera for men. Some get hooked and some don't.

Comment

Yeah but it isn't, and never has been, the "real" thing. Its soap opera for men. Some get hooked and some don't.
                    I thought Mad Men was soap opera for men.

Comment

George "The Animal" Steele died today at 79.
                      Last edited by Big Balls; 02-17-2017, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I was as big a wrestling fan as there was from the early 1980's until around the mid-2000's. The once great WCW was ran into the ground and was absolute shit by the time it was bought out in 2001. But, ironically, the death of WCW was where wrestling hit the skids and never really recovered. As a big a piece of shit as WCW had become by 2001, wrestling just never was the same again without it. Of course, the lesser ECW died and was bought out by WWE around that same time, making WWE the only promotion in the U.S. for awhile. TNA came onto the scene in 2002, but was not really known until around 2005. While it was not (and still isn't) real competition to WWE, it was a decent alternative. In fact, I only watched TNA there towards the end of my time of being a wrestling fan. By 2004-2005, WWE had become a shell of it's former self. The old territory days were the best. The NWA is still around today. Well, actually, it faded out for a few years before making a return. However, none of it's, members are holdovers from the glory days of the 1940's to the 1980's. So, it's not really the same.

Comment

sketti wrasslin' is aweseome

Comment

Originally posted by Clown View Post
                            I was as big a wrestling fan as there was from the early 1980's until around the mid-2000's. The once great WCW was ran into the ground and was absolute shit by the time it was bought out in 2001. But, ironically, the death of WCW was where wrestling hit the skids and never really recovered. As a big a piece of shit as WCW had become by 2001, wrestling just never was the same again without it. Of course, the lesser ECW died and was bought out by WWE around that same time, making WWE the only promotion in the U.S. for awhile. TNA came onto the scene in 2002, but was not really known until around 2005. While it was not (and still isn't) real competition to WWE, it was a decent alternative. In fact, I only watched TNA there towards the end of my time of being a wrestling fan. By 2004-2005, WWE had become a shell of it's former self. The old territory days were the best. The NWA is still around today. Well, actually, it faded out for a few years before making a return. However, none of it's, members are holdovers from the glory days of the 1940's to the 1980's. So, it's not really the same.
                            All of this.

Comment

All of this.
                              Last Sunday, I actually watched Wrestlemania. It was the first one I had seen since WM 22 in 2006. A friend of mine who has the WWE network asked me if I was interested in seeing it. At first, I said no, but since it wasn't costing me anything, I thought "eh, why not?'. It didn't take me long to remember why I had discontinued my wrestling fandom. I would take the absolute worst wrestling ppv that I saw during my time as a fan over WM 33 any day.

Comment

Working...
                              X