Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you miss that has changed since the internet and smart phones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What do you miss that has changed since the internet and smart phones?

    ??

  • #2
    Paper porn.

    Comment


    • #3
      Having the ability to disappear. No one could just call me or text. Wife couldn't blow my phone up with texts about what lights I like or counters I prefer.

      Amazing to me that at one time that someone would have to come on the job site to tell me that I had a phone call, and I had to then drive to the office.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 2Stater View Post
        Paper porn.
        Yup, No harm if you drop the Hustler in the commode

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Stan View Post
          Having the ability to disappear. No one could just call me or text. Wife couldn't blow my phone up with texts about what lights I like or counters I prefer.

          Amazing to me that at one time that someone would have to come on the job site to tell me that I had a phone call, and I had to then drive to the office.
          This is probably the main thing I miss too. It would be nice to get off at 5 and just do something by myself without any questions or changes to my plans. Its difficult to wind down now that there are not excuses to not have a phone on you.

          I also miss having a plan that everyone sticks to. Especially when it comes to meeting a person or group of people in certain locations at certain times.

          Comment


          • #6
            Having a clear phone call with someone without echos, road noise, kids/music in the background.

            The undivided attention of a person you're speaking with, who talks back to you in response to your statements or questions.

            Time to complete one task before another is dropped on you by another text, email, call.
            "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
            Nick Saban 9/10/2016

            Comment


            • #7
              Solitude.

              Comment


              • #8
                But ya know, not a single person here would dare go without their cellphone for more than 24 hrs.

                I'd love to say I could, but I know better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Biff View Post
                  But ya know, not a single person here would dare go without their cellphone for more than 24 hrs.

                  I'd love to say I could, but I know better.
                  I did last year for three days. It was when we went camping. But, I know what you mean, though. If someone were to walk up to me right now and take my cell phone access away, I'd have a panic attack.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Biff View Post
                    But ya know, not a single person here would dare go without their cellphone for more than 24 hrs.

                    I'd love to say I could, but I know better.
                    I absolutely can, and have. I hate technology....cept for free porn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bamaholic

                      I absolutely can, and have. I hate technology....cept for free porn
                      That's probably more of a case of you not understanding technology.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Biff View Post
                        That's probably more of a case of you not understanding technology.
                        Dang, your good

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's more like, what DON'T I miss that has changed since the internet and smart phones! Where to begin! Let's see, I miss landlines. I miss people having them, because you could look someone up in the phone book. There is no phone book for cell phones. And there never will be. I miss their quality. I still have a landline, but it's not the same as it was years ago. The sound quality isn't the same and the fucking thing goes down quite a bit. I remember when landlines would have an issue maybe once every 5 years. And at worst, it would be just a little static on the line. I miss the pre social media days. I miss being able to actually see someone in the flesh. Not just "hang out" with them on facebook. There is one individual with whom I no longer talk to for that very reason. It was her choice not mine. But, she got angry at me because I mentioned that we never did anything together anymore, and she replied that we could always hang out on facebook, to which I replied "that's ridiculous" and then she refused to talk to me ever again after that. Oddly enough, I miss payphones. I can actually remember paging someone, putting in the payphone number, and then waiting for them to call me back! That was kind of fun in a way. I miss used CD stores. There was just something fun about buying used CDs. Not to mention, the atmosphere in the stores was always entertaining.
                          Last edited by Clown; 04-03-2017, 09:55 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Clown View Post
                            It's more like, what DON'T I miss that has changed since the internet and smart phones! Where to begin! Let's see, I miss landlines. I miss people having them, because you could look someone up in the phone book. There is no phone book for cell phones. And there never will be. I miss their quality. I still have a landline, but it's not the same as it was years ago. The sound quality isn't the same and the fucking thing goes down quite a bit. I remember when landlines would have an issue maybe once every 5 years. And at worst, it would be just a little static on the line. I miss the pre social media days. I miss being able to actually see someone in the flesh. Not just "hang out" with them on facebook. There is one individual with whom I no longer talk to for that very reason. It was her choice not mine. But, she got angry at me because I mentioned that we never did anything together anymore, and she replied that we could always hang out on facebook, to which I replied "that's ridiculous" and then she refused to talk to me ever again after that. Oddly enough, I miss payphones. I can actually remember paging someone, putting in the payphone number, and then waiting for them to call me back! That was kind of fun in a way. I miss used CD stores. There was just something fun about buying used CDs. Not to mention, the atmosphere in the stores was always entertaining.
                            Because everyone's going to online shopping, stores are closing up left and right. Very sad. Even my wife places an online order with Walmart and just picks up the order from the back of the store. She's also the Amazon Prime queen. I prefer getting out of the house once in a while to visit the brick and mortars.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X