Bill's Big Fish

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post

I like my specs and white trout fried with a thin coat of cornmeal breading. When do we eat?
    Exactly the way some of the whites are going to be prepared this evening. 7pm, tie is optional.

Comment

State conservation officials say there aren't enough wild oysters in Alabama waters to justify a season.
      "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
      Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
      Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
      Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

I wonder how Hurricane Michael affected the Apalachicola oysters?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post

Best oysters in the world, excluding none. I can remember, as a child, traveling to Dothan to visit family and the older men would drive down to get a big wash tub full, come back, shell, eat and drink beer-a-sodas. Good times.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post

Not much info or data in this article, but there is this reference:

When Hurricane Michael made landfall at Mexico Beach, Florida, on Oct. 10, 2018, it dealt a devastating blow to this nascent industry. Preliminary reports indicate significant damage and heavy crop losses.

Beyond direct impacts on oyster farms, Hurricane Michael damaged state laboratories that conduct water quality testing required to re-open waters to harvesting. Testing delays could lead to prolonged closures and even affect areas not hit by the storm. Michael also disrupted red tide sampling in several Panhandle counties. In Gulf and Escambia counties, red tide concentrations actually
            increased in late October.

Farmers will be looking for more oyster seed – the small oysters that they need to restock their bags and baskets. This could drive up demand and strain the industry’s capacity. Unlike crop farmers on land, oyster farmers cannot buy subsidized insurance to help them with losses of oysters and gear, so those who suffered heavy damage will be challenged to rebuild their operations.

Oysters are big business along the Gulf Coast, but raising them off-bottom – which yields a premium product – is just starting there. Hurricane Michael showed it won't be easy.
            Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
            Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
            Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Tough story to read.
              APALACHICOLAT.J. Ward’s phone rang. Service had improved in the days since Hurricane Michael.
              Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Tough story to read.
                They kind of fucked themselves after the BP oil spill. The government loosened restrictions and let the fishermen harvest as many oysters as they wanted to. This was due to the fear that the oil would make it to Apalachicola and ruin the season. The fishermen over harvested and the oysters have not been able to make a comeback.

Im no expert, this is just what I was told by a local down there.

Comment

This time laps video is pretty cool

https://youtu.be/saAy7GfLq4w

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoGuy View Post

They kind of fucked themselves after the BP oil spill. The government loosened restrictions and let the fishermen harvest as many oysters as they wanted to. This was due to the fear that the oil would make it to Apalachicola and ruin the season. The fishermen over harvested and the oysters have not been able to make a comeback.

Im no expert, this is just what I was told by a local down there.
                    Can you fly us a fresh sack of oysters on your next exotic trip?
                    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Oysters are disgusting

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        Oysters are disgusting
                        Stan, Imma disappoint wit chu!

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          Oysters are disgusting
                          On a saltine with a little dab of cocktail sauce and some extra horseradish is pretty good eatin'.

Comment

Can you fly us a fresh sack of oysters on your next exotic trip?
                            Ill do my best. I was going to bring a sack home from Louisana this weekend but I knew I wouldnt have time to eat them before they went bad.

Comment

I fried up 1/2 quart last weekend to go with spicy boiled shrimp corn and taters during last week's asskicking of the Whu. As with the trout, just a little corn meal and a little vegetable oil frying makes them perfect
                              Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

But I do luv them freshly shucked on a cracker with cocktail sauce, horseradish, a splash of lemon and a shot of Tabasco.

and, I'm a threat to go fancy on the grill with Rockerfeller or just some mozzarella cheese, garlic & wine.

Pre appendectomy, I would just slurp them from the shell and let the alcohol dilute any pollutants.
                                Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Working...
                                X