Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What all have you done in your life? (aka List Your Jobs)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What all have you done in your life? (aka List Your Jobs)

Pre-16 cash paying jobs: Mowing lawns, farm work (fencing and feeding cows) and basically just whatever my uncle needed help doing
    16-17: Short order cook
    17-18: Convenience store cashier
    College: Engineering co-op at a place that did plant automation systems, substitute teacher, Sylvan Learning Center, a 3-night stint as a newspaper carrier (the only time I've ever experienced severe motion sickness - possibly the worst feeling of my life)
    24-25: High school math teacher
    25+: Engineer working air/missile defense - (also had an after work gig dealing poker that I probably made - and completely wasted - $40k cash in ~18 months)
    Last edited by Hannibal Lecter MD; 02-05-2018, 03:57 PM.

Okay I'll play your little game:

14 - McDonalds
    15 - Cut grass for folks, did odd manual labor jobs to help out, worked on farms
    16-17 - McDonalds
    18-21 - Doctor's Office in medical records
    21-24 - Environmental regulator
    24+ - Water/Wastewater Engineering (two organizations)
    barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Grocery store - bagger, cashier, stocker, produce. I was there for three years.
      Retail sales - sales associate and moved up to mgt\
      Car Sales - 1 whole month
      Banker - Teller, Perosnal Banker, Asst Manager, Manager

Comment

Before 17
        Goat Farmer
        After 17
        Salesman

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

sigpic

Comment

15-17. Worked in ballpark concession stands
          18-21. Stocker in a grocery store
          22 shoveled horse shit, literally
          23-24 inspector for aldot
          24-present. Quality control for construction company

Comment

13-24 - masonry construction, general construction
            14-18 - farm and orchard work
            18-22 - PC lab in college (work study)
            18-22 - Orderly at a county hospital
            21 - ran a sod farm
            22+ - financial analysis

Comment

I wish I had a job in construction when I was young. I can't fix anything.

Comment

Pre-high school -- Mowing yards
                17-18 (Summers) -- Reading/repairing water meters, City of Tuscaloosa
                18-19 -- Freshman at Bama
                19 -- Army Reserve Six-Month Active Duty (followed by six years of monthly Reserve Drills and two-week summer camps)
                20-23 -- Completion of undergrad Bama degree, running fraternity/sorority milk route and playing jobs during the Sixties Folk Scare
                23-28 -- Graduate Teaching Assistant (Tennessee) and playing regular musical gigs in local bars
                28-47 -- Assistant/Associate/Full Professor of English (American Literature)
                47-63 -- Academic Administrator, retiring as Senior Associate Vice Chancellor
                64-66 -- Teaching one semester per year, post-retirement
                66-present -- Back to mowing yards again (NC and FL), though this time they're mine. I can't stay ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                  I wish I had a job in construction when I was young. I can't fix anything.
                  I didn't have a choice, my Dad was a brick mason by trade before becoming a general contractor. It was pretty tough work. In the summers, I'd work all day and then go to summer workouts. When fall practice started, I'd get to leave work early to go to practice. Guys who laid around all summer were puking and I was just laughing at them.

I've been working on my land for the better part of the last year, and the house for the last four months, and I'm feeling it. Just installing the insulation has worn me out. I should've sprung for a hammer actuated staple gun instead of the standard Arrow hand stapler. 10,000+ staples later and I've got the makings of carpal tunnel or some type of overuse malady to my hands. It'll feel good when it quits hurting, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Youngleman View Post
                    19 -- Army Reserve Six-Month Active Duty (followed by six years of monthly Reserve Drills and two-week summer camps)
                    20-23 -- Completion of undergrad Bama degree, running fraternity/sorority milk route and playing jobs during the Sixties Folk Scare
                    23-28 -- Graduate Teaching Assistant (Tennessee) and playing regular musical gigs in local bars
                    66-present -- Back to mowing yards again (NC and FL), though this time they're mine. I can't stay ahead.
                    What's old is new again...

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Youngleman View Post
                      What Sid didn't mention, is that was 1966, not age 66. He was teaching during the years when the great American novels were still being written by Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, and Hemingway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Youngleman
                        20-23 -- Completion of undergrad Bama degree, running fraternity/sorority milk route and playing jobs during the Sixties Folk Scare...
                        Are you one of SLO’s ancestors?

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

What Sid didn't mention, is that was 1966, not age 66. He was teaching during the years when the great American novels were still being written by Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, and Hemingway.
                          I actually wrote my master's thesis on Faulkner. He was a great help when sober (and especially when both of us were). My doctoral dissertation was on some writers in 17th-Century Virginia, all of whom had recently passed away.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Balls View Post
                            Are you one of SLO’s ancestors?
                            Conceivably. Get it? Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post

I've been working on my land for the better part of the last year, and the house for the last four months, and I'm feeling it.
                              I've been working on fencing in a few acres for goats, donkeys, and my dogs. Have a garden I need to get started after that. I'm running out of time. I've worked Saturdays for the past month, so I'm way behind. I'm doing all this so my kids can learn something of value. I always regretted not being more involved with my grandfather and his farming.

Comment

Working...
                              X