No announcement yet.

Just Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they're planning to keep it all year rather than end it.

Americans handle change (even for the good) very poorly. The metric system is far more logical than the standards of measurement that we use, but people are too stubborn to go for it. Dollar coins, elimination of pennies, etc are all things that should have been done long ago.
    Last edited by Hannibal Lecter MD; 03-07-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Hannibal Lecter MD;n47528]I think they're planning to keep it all year rather than end it.

Americans handle change (even for the good) very poorly. The metric system is far more logical than the standards of measurement that we use, but people are too stubborn to go for it. Dollar coins, elimination of pennies, etc are all things that should be been done long ago.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on the pennies but not on the metric system or the dollar coins unless they're made a size very hard to mistake for coins of another denomination. And if they were, say, the size of the old silver dollars, I don't want to have to carry around as many as four in my pocket. As for the metric system, I prefer knowing that a mile is the distance covered by 1000 paces of a Roman soldier (mille passum). Then there's the fact that I just like sticking it to most of the rest of the world. I would, however, entertain the idea of leagues or parasangs.

As for the bolded part above, I get it.
      Last edited by Sid Youngleman; 03-07-2018, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	47531

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
          I think they're planning to keep it all year rather than end it.

Americans handle change (even for the good) very poorly. The metric system is far more logical than the standards of measurement that we use, but people are too stubborn to go for it. Dollar coins, elimination of pennies, etc are all things that should have been done long ago.

Anarchy Talledega GIF - Anarchy Talledega Talledeganights GIFs

"There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
          Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
          Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
          Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Arizona doesn't follow DLS either. I think half of Indiana too

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife and I decided to stop observing it also.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaholic View Post
                Arizona doesn't follow DLS either. I think half of Indiana too

Utah follows LDS.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Balls View Post
                  My wife and I decided to stop observing it also.
                  Does your employer observe it? I worked with a guy many years ago who had a falling out with his boss as to when he should arrive for an assignment in Tallahassee when he lived in Pensacola. His next performance evaluation noted he was "uncooperative when working in different time zones".

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post

Does your employer observe it? I worked with a guy many years ago who had a falling out with his boss as to when he should arrive for an assignment in Tallahassee when he lived in Pensacola. His next performance evaluation noted he was "uncooperative when working in different time zones".
                    That would be tough. Say he couldn't punch in until 8am and was told to be on-site in Tallahassee by 11am Tallahassee time. I would tell him to shove his job and his "uncooperative when working in different time zones"!

Comment

Not a done deal yet. Gov. Scott still has to sign off on it.

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-poli...done-deal-yet/

I hope he does, and all other states fall in line to do the same.

Comment

He already said he would sign it.

Comment

He already said he would sign it.

That will mean that for much of the year, my 2 homes will have the same time zone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater

That will mean that for much of the year, my 2 homes will have the same time zone.
                            Trick is, some federal laws will have to change in Florida for it to happen.

Comment

Here's a piece of Alabama legislation I'm rooting for:

Senate Bill 154 would allow municipal police to give misdemeanor offenders a summons to appear in court rather than place them under arrest and jail them – a process that can take officers off the street for several hours.

“It saves time and it will leave police officers out in the field longer and still requires the individual be held responsible for what they did,” Florence Police Chief Ron Tyler said Wednesday about the bill.

He and Lt. Brad Holmes worked on the legislation prior to its filing by Sen. Tim Melson, R-Florence.

“It allows the arresting officer to give a summons for court appearance instead of taking them in, fingerprinting them and going through the whole routine,” Melson said. “Hopefully, (officers will) get back on the street, patrol more and find someone else (committing a crime) instead of wasting two or three hours booking somebody.”

Tyler used the possession of a small amount of marijuana, $25 shoplifting charges and, and house parties where there is underage drinking as examples where a court summons makes more sense than an arrest.

“If we issue a citation, we can be done with this in minutes,” he said.

Comment

Trick is, some federal laws will have to change in Florida for it to happen.

Holic, you keep building me up just to let me down.

Comment

Working...
                                X