• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post
    Asians driving RVs in Yellowstone.
    You know what a "crick" is?

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

I think the lesson is more likely don't follow elderly people in lines.
      You would rather discuss old folks than the hot redhead?
      barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post

You would rather discuss old folks than the hot redhead?
        I'm not a fan of reds, and my imagination isn't that great anyway.

Comment

Mine are mostly linguistic in nature. A few examples:

==Number 1 by far on my current list: Beginning one's answer to any and every question with the functionless word "so."

==Confusing "no end" (endlessly) and "to no end" (unsuccessfully or pointlessly). Cecil, for instance. screws this up in his current column about the SEC meetings in Destin. I complain about this error no end, but my complaints are probably to no end.

=="Begs the question" does not mean "prompts or gives rise to the question. . . ." To beg the question, which is a term in logic, means to assume the truth of an idea while supposedly examining whether that idea is true or not. "Jim Bob can't be the thief we're looking for, because Jim Bob is an honest man." You're embedding your answer to the question in the question itself. Any questions? By the way, trying to rehabilitate this one is now hopeless. It's been pounded out of its original meaning by the ignorance of "journalists."

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Youngleman View Post
            Mine are mostly linguistic in nature. A few examples:

==Number 1 by far on my current list: Beginning one's answer to any and every question with the functionless word "so."

==Confusing "no end" (endlessly) and "to no end" (unsuccessfully or pointlessly). Cecil, for instance. screws this up in his current column about the SEC meetings in Destin. I complain about this error no end, but my complaints are probably to no end.

=="Begs the question" does not mean "prompts or gives rise to the question. . . ." To beg the question, which is a term in logic, means to assume the truth of an idea while supposedly examining whether that idea is true or not. "Jim Bob can't be the thief we're looking for, because Jim Bob is an honest man." You're embedding your answer to the question in the question itself. Any questions? By the way, trying to rehabilitate this one is now hopeless. It's been pounded out of its original meaning by the ignorance of "journalists."

Improper use of steep learning curve, as if it's something you have to climb. A flat learning means you never learn over time. Starting with "so" also drives me nuts, along with valley uptick at the end of sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post

Improper use of steep learning curve, as if it's something you have to climb. A flat learning means you never learn over time. Starting with "so" also drives me nuts, along with valley uptick at the end of sentences.
              So what you're saying is this sentence would annoy you, eh?

Comment

The dropping of 't' from words or names.

Comment

I bet I piss off Sid and some of you other smarty pants with my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                    I don't think it's the grammar of your posts that pisses people off.

Comment

So what you're saying is this sentence would annoy you, eh?
                      Not to muscle in on ITE's territory, but no, there's nothing wrong with the "so" as you're using it here. In your sentence, the "so" is roughly the equivalent of "therefore," which has a legitimate function in the sentence because it logically connects with what it's responding to. Rather, we're talking about things such as: Q "What's your name?" A "So my name's Jim Bob."

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        Nonsense. Stay as sweet as you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Youngleman View Post

Not to muscle in on ITE's territory, but no, there's nothing wrong with the "so" as you're using it here. In your sentence, the "so" is roughly the equivalent of "therefore," which has a legitimate function in the sentence because it logically connects with what it's responding to. Rather, we're talking about things such as: Q "What's your name?" A "So my name's Jim Bob."
                          Ol Jim Bob ain't real good with his words.

Comment

I may give him the afternoon off.

Comment

Bought his books, paid for his tuition, sent him off to class and all he wants to do is eat the teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBrosky View Post

Bought his books, paid for his tuition, sent him off to class and all he wants to do is eat the teacher.
                                Is the teacher a redhead?

Comment

Working...
                                X