Thoughts, Just Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr. Pink
    1) I agree on the inspectors. Some just check boxes on a clipboard and dont look at anything. Ours was good though.... but permits isnt something he looks for...

2) weve rented the house for awhile now, so there aren't really any surprises. But there are things we want to update and we want to make sure we can do that when the time comes. Also, we want to be able to sell it easily down the road.

My thoughts are that the permit doesn't matter much unless the whole thing crumbles, in which case we are rebuilding anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Being in a historic district is going to give you a lot of grief when it comes to additions. I'd go ahead and plan on skipping the whole permit process going forward. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Biff is right on the home inspectors, the majority around here seem to be morons. There is one guy, and I’ve used him twice, who is excellent. He stays booked up for weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biff
        And y’all put way too much faith in home inspectors. You wouldn’t believe some of the shit I’ve seen them miss
        Code inspectors check for some important things, and many fixate on unimportant minutia. I’ve dealt with both kinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by RhinoGuy
          What other options do home buyers have? Home inspectors are the only ones that don't have a dog in the fight (assuming you don't use the one that your realtor recommended). Every other person that you deal with in home buying /selling makes commission.

The appraiser doesn’t make a commission. He gets $400 whether it’s a $5,000 or $500,000 house.

And you don’t have any other choice. The home inspector is the best tool available. But like with any profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones.
          There are at least 3 that I refuse to use here in town. Two of them are incompetent and miss too many “issues”
          The other one thinks he’s God and brags about how many deals he kills.

The buyer relies on the realtor to recommend a competent inspector. It’s the agent’s obligation in the Buyer/Brokerage Agreement.

I’ll tell you one thing. All the years I was an appraiser, I always thought of realtors as lazy, crooked liars that don’t do shit except show up for a paycheck. And without a doubt, there are A LOT of them that fit that description.
          But it’s a hell of a lot more work than I ever dreamed. And you’re on the clock nonstop. There are no weekends. I’ve got 6 deals going right now and my phone never stops. A couple of days ago, my first text came in at 6:49am, the last one of the day was at 10:50pm. And there was no less that 250 in between those times.
          This is no lie, I’m so damn busy right now, I can’t find time to get a haircut, work on any wood projects I’ve been hired to do, and I’ve had to cancel 2 Dr appointments.

Comment

• Dewalt, Kobalt, or Craftsman?

I've had black and decker for the past 15 years but need to update, and thinking I'll upgrade as well with these new home repairs coming soon.

Looking at getting one of those sets with new drills, impact drill, see-saw and a light (I don't need the light but they throw that in there to make it seem like you get more stuff). Dont need a skill saw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
              Dewalt, Kobalt, or Craftsman?

I've had black and decker for the past 15 years but need to update, and thinking I'll upgrade as well with these new home repairs coming soon.

Looking at getting one of those sets with new drills, impact drill, see-saw and a light (I don't need the light but they throw that in there to make it seem like you get more stuff). Dont need a skill saw.

Milwaukee M18 SERIES

/thread
              "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
              Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
              Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
              Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

• Really? I've never used Milwaukee before so didnt consider it at all. Haven't even priced those out.

Comment

• I redid a house for my mother, so I bought a package real with drill, driver, grinder, and a couple extra plus a radio and a flashlight that all run on the battery pack. Both devices and batteries last a while. Was around 250, but it may have been a Christmas deal.
                  "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                  Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                  Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                  Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

• Milwaukee is top notch.

Of those choices you gave, DeWalt hands down.
                    The majority of my battery powered tools are Porter Cable and I’ve been very pleased with them.

I’ve got a battery powered full size Milwaukee circular saw and that thing is a beast!

Comment

• I’d give anything if my wife could cook. You fellas don’t know what I have to endure.

Comment

• Comment

• I didnt realize Milwaukee was such a good brand. I was considering Dewalt but I like some of the Kobalt tools I've used in the past as well. Never really used Craftsman but for the cost, I was looking at them.

Comment

• I’ve never used Kobalt. It all depends on how much you’re going to use them. If you’re a contractor and depend on them, you buy the best there is.
                            But if you use them once a month, the Kobalt may be fine.

I couldn’t trust Craftsman at this point.

Comment

• https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...6-26/203230032

May wait and see if these go on sale. I use my stuff here and there. More than once a month, but definitely not every day, or even each week.

But I do enjoy DIY theres a lot of projects with this house that I'm (somewhat) looking forward to doing. What I have now wont get the job done, so if I'm going to upgrade, I want to get my best bang for my buck and get something so indont have to worry about power tools for another 10-15 years.

Comment

• Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Ridgid are probably the top 3. Any of those will be more than reliable enough for a DIY'r. A downside to rigid is that it's only sold at home depot.

Comment

Working...
                                X