Thinking about Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by It Takes Eleven

The actual number of people in Alabama with it is much, much greater than the numbers you're being provided by the news services. Hundreds of tests pending results, and other thousands with symptoms that don't rise to the level of testing. They still are not testing you unless you answer two questions - you have symptoms AND you've had contact with someone who has been confirmed to have it.. A no to either and no test for you, unless your symptoms require hospitalization - then they test you. So, you can see how useless the actual numbers are, other than to get clicks and sell papers.

I have a cousin and his wife who are both at Grandview with it now. He's in CCU, the wife's just in the hospital. His sister was diagnosed yesterday.
    The media also likes to use the "cases growing faster and faster" talk..... well yeah, as more testing is being done, more results come in... logic eludes them

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm thinking of taking a roadtrip later in the week to maintain my sanity. Probably just a ~10hr day of driving and returning home. What're some good scenic routes over in Eastern Alabama? I know nothing about that side of the state below Jackson Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by It Takes Eleven

The actual number of people in Alabama with it is much, much greater than the numbers you're being provided by the news services. Hundreds of tests pending results, and other thousands with symptoms that don't rise to the level of testing. They still are not testing you unless you answer two questions - you have symptoms AND you've had contact with someone who has been confirmed to have it.. A no to either and no test for you, unless your symptoms require hospitalization - then they test you. So, you can see how useless the actual numbers are, other than to get clicks and sell papers.

I have a cousin and his wife who are both at Grandview with it now. He's in CCU, the wife's just in the hospital. His sister was diagnosed yesterday.
        I wonder why the hospitals aren't providing the numbers of hospitalized Rona patients. People would take it more seriously if they saw that the number was higher.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
          I'm thinking of taking a roadtrip later in the week to maintain my sanity. Probably just a ~10hr day of driving and returning home. What're some good scenic routes over in Eastern Alabama? I know nothing about that side of the state below Jackson Co.
          Little River Canyon, first, should be rolling with the good rain. Getting out of Oneonta, the drive is nice coming off the brow, haven't been Horsepens 40 in decades, but it's scenic.The drive along Neely Henry on hwy 77 is kind of nice. Near Heflin/Oxford, you have the scenic highway through Talladega NF and Cheaha State Park that takes you up over Cheaha. Some nice views. you could also kick over to Lineville and cross Lake Wedowee on State 48, which is nice. If you really want to venture south, although Azaleas might be past their prime down there, but the historic district in Eufaula is really pretty. Not just the main drag of 431, but work away from the river a few blocks, many really pretty turn of the century stately homes nicely landscaped.

Comment

• Originally posted by RhinoGuy View Post
            I wonder why the hospitals aren't providing the numbers of hospitalized Rona patients. People would take it more seriously if they saw that the number was higher.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
            There would be no food anywhere if everyone really knew we'll have another two months of this.

Comment

• Playing devil’s advocate here. This thing is no more dangerous to healthy people than the flu, is that still correct? I haven’t kept up with that. Wouldn’t it be better to just quarantine the elderly and sick, rather the the whole country? Just everyone get it except those quarantined. Because we really can’t shut the country down for 2 months and our economy survive. It really will collapse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan
                Playing devil’s advocate here. This thing is no more dangerous to healthy people than the flu, is that still correct? I haven’t kept up with that. Wouldn’t it be better to just quarantine the elderly and sick, rather the the whole country? Just everyone get it except those quarantined. Because we really can’t shut the country down for 2 months and our economy survive. It really will collapse.
                Theres a lot of differences between Covid and the average flu.... like symptoms may not show for a week or longer, it's more infectious, and we dont really have a way of knowing the long term effects.

But, you're right about healthy people being able to survive it... I'm not worried about the virus, I'm worried about the panic surrounding the virus.

I'd be fine with a 2 week quarantine to knock it out. No stimulus checks, no corporate bail outs. 2 weeks, stay at home. Food and health services open only (to go orders, delivery, and hospitals). And food industry is optional to be open... dont force small businesses to stay open if they dont want to.

Comment

• Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post

Little River Canyon, first, should be rolling with the good rain. Getting out of Oneonta, the drive is nice coming off the brow, haven't been Horsepens 40 in decades, but it's scenic.The drive along Neely Henry on hwy 77 is kind of nice. Near Heflin/Oxford, you have the scenic highway through Talladega NF and Cheaha State Park that takes you up over Cheaha. Some nice views. you could also kick over to Lineville and cross Lake Wedowee on State 48, which is nice. If you really want to venture south, although Azaleas might be past their prime down there, but the historic district in Eufaula is really pretty. Not just the main drag of 431, but work away from the river a few blocks, many really pretty turn of the century stately homes nicely landscaped.
                  Many thanks. I thought you might come through with a great answer like this!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan View Post
                    Playing devil’s advocate here. This thing is no more dangerous to healthy people than the flu, is that still correct? I haven’t kept up with that. Wouldn’t it be better to just quarantine the elderly and sick, rather the the whole country? Just everyone get it except those quarantined. Because we really can’t shut the country down for 2 months and our economy survive. It really will collapse.
                    I think it has both a higher transmittal and fatality rate in general than the flu. The mild cases are odd, but perhaps the flu does the same thing. Why would you get tested for flu if you don't feel terrible?

The "new evidence" that it possibly leaves lasting damage to the lungs in younger people, even when they don't experience strong symptoms is a little concerning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      Ok...so lets say we go with that and we let it run rampant among the young folks. Well, a lot of those young folks have underlying conditions. So let's shut them in too. Then, who takes care of the elderly and those young people with the underlying conditions? Who buys them groceries, runs errands for them, etc? Not to mention, just because healthy young folks aren't necessarily dying form it at a high rate,several of them are being hospitalized. Where do they go when the hospitals are full?

Comment

• I vote for let it all burn down and let’s go thunderdome, mad max style.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan
                          I vote for let it all burn down and let’s go thunderdome, mad max style.
                          I need about 2 more paychecks to stock up on ammo, and buy another gun. Then I'm game

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Balls View Post

Ok...so lets say we go with that and we let it run rampant among the young folks. Well, a lot of those young folks have underlying conditions. So let's shut them in too. Then, who takes care of the elderly and those young people with the underlying conditions? Who buys them groceries, runs errands for them, etc? Not to mention, just because healthy young folks aren't necessarily dying form it at a high rate,several of them are being hospitalized. Where do they go when the hospitals are full?
                            Amazon still delivers 50lb sacks of dog food. Maybe smaller so the old folks can carry it in. Perhaps a scoop can be donated so they can leave the sack outside on the porch and just scoop out what they need.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              I need about 2 more paychecks to stock up on ammo, and buy another gun. Then I'm game

The armed man never goes hungry nor has a dirty butt

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post

You and the missus are potentially getting $2400 on the 6th. Double the order.

Comment

Working...
                                X