Pellet or Kamado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet or Kamado?

I need to make a decision. I’ve pretty much ruled out the electric smoker. I had the Masterbuilt and the control panel went out within two years. That and the heating element seem to be continuous problems for those.

So pellet or kamado?

I’ve got a decent Weber gas grill for quick stuff.
    I want something that I can smoke low and slow on.
    Too much electrical with the pellet grill? Probably expensive repairs if something goes out.
    Too hard to keep a consistent low temp on the kamado?

$600-$700 max. I’ll buy a used one in good shape if need be.

If I were buying I would get a pellet. You may be right about the expensive repairs, but a kamado you are going to have to pay extra for attachments. Heat deflector plates, etc

Comment

I have never used my kamodo for smoking. I only use it for high heat cooks and as a outdoor oven. It's good for that though. It works really well for chicken, steak, pizza, and paella. If I could only have one grilling apparatus it would be the kamodo.

I've been playing with a pit boss vertical smoker for the last few weekends and like it so far. It is as easy to operate as the masterbuilt, gets way hotter (400°), and heat's up faster.

I'm using the"pitmaster" blend pellets and don't really like the flavor. I'm going to try to go with the mix I used on the electric when the current pellets run out. I'm hoping that will help with flavor. Flavors should be better when it gets seasoned better too.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Could you cook a steak on a pellet grill? Like, are there charcoal pellets or something? I’m not a fan of Smokey tasting steaks

Comment

Webber makes a pellet grill that gets up to 550 I think. You could probably cook a steak on it.

The pellet grills don't put off hardly any smoke at high temps. The one I have doesn't anyway.

Comment

Pellet probably makes the most sense for what I want. Just worry about the electricals.
            The humidity alone can’t be good for them.

Comment

I haven't had mine long enough to know about the electricals. I do know that it can run off of 12v power. I'm sure the heating element will last longer than on the masterbuilt because it doesn't stay on very long.

I'm worried about the fan and auger motor holding up. Our salt water pool causes everything on our patio to rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Pellet probably makes the most sense for what I want. Just worry about the electricals.
                The humidity alone can’t be good for them.
                Sam's has $50 off a Landmann pellet grill at the moment ($299). You may want something nicer, but just thought I'd mention.

Comment

You callin biff poor?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                    You callin biff poor?
                    Just because I think he's a "poor bastard," it has nothing to do with his financial means.

I'm considering it for myself, btw.

Comment

I thought you bought a pit boss?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        I thought you bought a pit boss?
                        I never pulled the trigger for some reason that I don't recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

Sam's has $50 off a Landmann pellet grill at the moment ($299). You may want something nicer, but just thought I'd mention.
                          I looked at that one online, but our Sams doesn’t have it in store.

Comment

Originally posted by Biff View Post

I looked at that one online, but our Sams doesn’t have it in store.
                            Delivery is free. Or are you trying to disguise this as a Mother's Day gift?

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

Delivery is free. Or are you trying to disguise this as a Mother's Day gift?
                              I need to read some reviews on it

Comment

Working...
                              X