Your current thoughts on the pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your current thoughts on the pandemic

Obviously the virus is quite infectious. If we did full antibody testing on the nation, how many have had it? Would the fatality rate be less than what we think by a long margin? Are all infectious diseases this unpredictable in their infancy? What will the world learn for it all? Complete overreaction? Staved off millions of deaths? How will we pay for the economic devastation created by our reaction?

For many, the cure is worse than the disease. I've yet to see pandemic numbers, even before the shutdown of the country. Part of me says open up the country and let it run it's course, beccause it's not much worse than the flu. The other part of me keeps me washing my hands and practicing social distancing, because we don't really know.

There is so much information and disinformation out there, you just don't know what to believe.
    Reporter: "What's it like to Have a QB like Tua throwing to you?
    Smitty: "It's a blessin' "

Comment

Think about it:

From Trey Gowdy:
      I'm not saying Covid-19 isn't real... But Pay attention folks, there's much more going on here than what meets the eye.
      Is it a coincidence that just when the economy is booming, the stock market is setting record highs, we are winning the trade wars, school shootings have stopped, our nation is at peace, the Democratic party is a disaster and so is their likely nominee(Biden). He hasn't a chance in hell & they're not about to let an outsider(Bernie) destroy their scheme.

It looks like Trump is a sure bet for reelection after fending off 3 years of investigations and impeachment, then all the sudden world crisis pandemic. Stock market tumbles, companies are laying off employees, everything is closed and canceled, CEO's of giant companies are resigning and indictments are coming.
      Now they say there are a couple ways a President doesn't win reelection. Those are an unpopular war or a poor economy.

But there is something larger going on here driving this sudden outbreak right after Trump beats an impeachment. Especially the fact that it(Corona virus)originated in China who we are in a global trade war with brought on by Trump. Let's not forget Biden's back door deals with CHINA as well.
      China doesn't want 4 more years of Trump either. It all seems rather convenient for the nations and opponents of our current President and economy 5 months before an election. Couldn't have hit at a more perfect time.
      With the Democrats running out of campaign talking points in light of no school shootings, no migrant caravans at the southern border, fighting in Syria winding down, North Korea not firing missiles and Trump beating a sham impeachment. The corona virus gave them one last hail Mary to try and point fingers at Trump with the clock winding down in 2020.
      This is almost the perfect fascist playbook. Control the population with fear-mongering and panic, control the media, spread propaganda and the fan-favorite disarm the population. Oh, and did anyone notice that while they are mad as hell at Trump for not sending aid to Ukraine, they THEMSELVES voted AGAINST giving ANY emergency aid to all Americans ?
      Sorry but I don't think we are all going to die. Remember when Ebola was what was going to kill us all, and the media kept showing the piles of body bags that were prepared for the fallout. Then a month later it was totally forgotten.
      The common flu has killed more people this year already and the media is SILENT!
      A handful of deaths out of 320 million Americans and we are in panic tearing down our society and costing our economy billions in the wake. It all just seems fishy, a little too well-timed if you ask me.

-Trey Gowdy

Comment

I think it's important to remember that the stay at home orders were instituted to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, to flatten the curve. I never read or heard the phrase, "end the curve", or anything like it to suggest we stay sequestered until there is no chance of future infections/deaths. The curve has been flattened. Hospitals in the vast part of the country never approached capacity from COVID 19 hospitalizations, and a very large number have suffered financially due to elective surgery cancellations. Clearly, there are exceptions in the northeast and, closer to home, Albany, GA.

Open things up, use reasonable steps to control infections, and monitor caseloads.

There was a Wall Street Journal article interviewing a high end fund manager over how they changed their investment analyses in this environment. A very interesting read, but this quote revealed what I wish was a national sentiment: "Well, we’ve taken $2 trillion out of the economy potentially with these shutdowns, but the government is putting more than $2 trillion back into the economy. I hate to say it, but we’ve been here before. This is not even our first time with a pandemic. This country has had pandemics roughly every 50 years since 1776, and we’re still here."

Getting people back to work is paramount, but making sure they're willing to do so can be a problem. I've already heard instances of small businesses calling people back in to get ready for re-openings, and they've refused to do because they're making more while unemployed with that extra $600 federal boost. Last downturn, as Congress continued to extend jobless benefits, manual labor companies like landscapers had a very hard time hiring due to the small difference in the wages vs. an expanded federal benefit.

For what it's worth, I think the additional debt we're taking on will have a greater impact on the country than the changes that stick once this thing passes.

Comment

[/QUOTE]
          For what it's worth, I think the additional debt we're taking on will have a greater impact on the country than the changes that stick once this thing passes.
          [/QUOTE]

This!

As China continues to buy US debt with Treasury Bonds. They continue to build leverage against us. Let those commie bastards decide to dump those Treasuries, and watch what happens to our interest rates. They will skyrocket, further crippling this economy.
          This bullshit shutdown of our nation will take a decade to recover from.
          Last edited by Biff; 05-07-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

[/QUOTE]

This!

As China continues to buy US debt with Treasury Bonds. They continue to build leverage against us. Let those commie bastards decide to dump those Treasuries, and watch what happens to our interest rates. They will skyrocket, further crippling this economy.
            This bullshit shutdown of our nation will take a decade to recover from. [/QUOTE]

If it takes just a decade to reduce the National Debt to where it was at the start of the Trump presidency, we will be in high cotton.

Comment

One more thing. The people writing and saying the news are, for the most part, useful idiots. They want listeners and readers, they could care less about presenting news in the most meaningful format. Even the local news talk station in Atlanta, WSB, which I listen to on the way in to work, blurts the cumulative infection numbers like it's the pollen count. They continue to lament the "rising number of deaths". Absent Jesus or Lazarus, I don't think the number of deaths will go down. There will be enough examples of government and corporate missteps to drive special interest stories into next year.

Biff, I don't think a worldwide pandemic was instituted to get Trump; however, I do believe the democrats will use it to their advantage, keeping crazy joe in his basement and delaying the restart of the economy so Trump can't tout a recovery. They are that despicable, to let millions suffer and place our nation near bankruptcy, to keep Trump from a second term.

Comment

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Think about it:

From Trey Gowdy:
                I'm not saying Covid-19 isn't real... But Pay attention folks, there's much more going on here than what meets the eye.
                Is it a coincidence that just when the economy is booming, the stock market is setting record highs, we are winning the trade wars, school shootings have stopped, our nation is at peace, the Democratic party is a disaster and so is their likely nominee(Biden). He hasn't a chance in hell & they're not about to let an outsider(Bernie) destroy their scheme.

It looks like Trump is a sure bet for reelection after fending off 3 years of investigations and impeachment, then all the sudden world crisis pandemic. Stock market tumbles, companies are laying off employees, everything is closed and canceled, CEO's of giant companies are resigning and indictments are coming.
                Now they say there are a couple ways a President doesn't win reelection. Those are an unpopular war or a poor economy.

But there is something larger going on here driving this sudden outbreak right after Trump beats an impeachment. Especially the fact that it(Corona virus)originated in China who we are in a global trade war with brought on by Trump. Let's not forget Biden's back door deals with CHINA as well.
                China doesn't want 4 more years of Trump either. It all seems rather convenient for the nations and opponents of our current President and economy 5 months before an election. Couldn't have hit at a more perfect time.
                With the Democrats running out of campaign talking points in light of no school shootings, no migrant caravans at the southern border, fighting in Syria winding down, North Korea not firing missiles and Trump beating a sham impeachment. The corona virus gave them one last hail Mary to try and point fingers at Trump with the clock winding down in 2020.
                This is almost the perfect fascist playbook. Control the population with fear-mongering and panic, control the media, spread propaganda and the fan-favorite disarm the population. Oh, and did anyone notice that while they are mad as hell at Trump for not sending aid to Ukraine, they THEMSELVES voted AGAINST giving ANY emergency aid to all Americans ?
                Sorry but I don't think we are all going to die. Remember when Ebola was what was going to kill us all, and the media kept showing the piles of body bags that were prepared for the fallout. Then a month later it was totally forgotten.
                The common flu has killed more people this year already and the media is SILENT!
                A handful of deaths out of 320 million Americans and we are in panic tearing down our society and costing our economy billions in the wake. It all just seems fishy, a little too well-timed if you ask me.

-Trey Gowdy
                Do people really believe this?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm ready to open back up and see what happens. Monitor the situation and shut things back down if the hospitals can't handle it.

The government deciding who can go to work and provide for their family is bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinoGuy View Post
                    Do people really believe this?

Gowdy disavows the statement, apparently originated on Facebook. Guess that's why I'd never seen it before.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/go...piracy-theory/

Comment

The irony in all of this is that we're borrowing trillions from China to deal with a crashing economy created by a pandemic that China is responsible for.

Comment

This stuff has been blown out of proportion and we should never have shut down the economy... not... one... day. Though a real illness, staying home isn't the answer for defeating it. If I was dying of cancer, I'd be pretty pissed off that the world stops for an illness with a 2.8% or less death rate - when I am dying from something with a 50% death rate and no one says "boo" about it. I am sick of politicians. I am sick of the media. And I am sick of the intelligentsia controlling everything

Comment

Originally posted by Pinche Cabron View Post
                          This stuff has been blown out of proportion and we should never have shut down the economy... not... one... day. Though a real illness, staying home isn't the answer for defeating it. If I was dying of cancer, I'd be pretty pissed off that the world stops for an illness with a 2.8% or less death rate - when I am dying from something with a 50% death rate and no one says "boo" about it. I am sick of politicians. I am sick of the media. And I am sick of the intelligentsia controlling everything
                          "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                          Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                          Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                          Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Pinche Cabron View Post
                            Can you stay at home and prevent getting cancer? Can you spread cancer? Not a good analogy but I get that you're frustrated. I do think we should have put in some measures and stay at home for a period of time. I also think, just like ITE said, that we have gone too far above and way beyond.

Comment

I busted a crown and went to the dentist this morning, because the jag was wearing my tongue out. They've only been working 4 hours a week, and for emergencies only. Next week they will bring in a couple of hygienists and start doing cleanings. The week after Memorial Day, they will be fully staffed and completely open for business.

I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come for the rest of the business world.

Comment

Working...
                              X