Sustaining Drives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sustaining Drives

It seems like forever since we've had a drive where we've strung together more than 3 first downs and scored a TD at the end of the drive. I'm all for the big play but it seems like the only way we score TD's. When we all know its those 8+ play 50+ yard drives that really demonstrate superiority.
    In the Clemson game we had TD "drives" of 3 play/59 yds/58 seconds. 5/74/1:24. 4/79/1:01. and 6/68/2:31. This last one being the only one that would even come close to a sustaining drive. The FSU game we didn't have any sustaining drives either. Is this frustrating anyone besides me OR is everyone else fine with living off the big play?

I think we all prefer long, will breaking, TD drives.
    Anything that rests the D.

Comment

We haven't had the dominating OL play to muster the long drives the last few years, it seems. I do suspect we will see more of a focus on it under Daboll than we did with Kiffin though. We were not able to move the FSU front enough to go slow and steady Saturday.

Comment

I miss the 3rd and 4/6 yards and you know, I know, coaches, players, my momma knows a screen is coming and you can't stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by PCRammer View Post
          It seems like forever since we've had a drive where we've strung together more than 3 first downs and scored a TD at the end of the drive. I'm all for the big play but it seems like the only way we score TD's. When we all know its those 8+ play 50+ yard drives that really demonstrate superiority.
          In the Clemson game we had TD "drives" of 3 play/59 yds/58 seconds. 5/74/1:24. 4/79/1:01. and 6/68/2:31. This last one being the only one that would even come close to a sustaining drive. The FSU game we didn't have any sustaining drives either. Is this frustrating anyone besides me OR is everyone else fine with living off the big play?
          I think this has everything to do with how other good teams are defending us. Everyone that can is stacking the LOS (or run blitzing) and playing man to man because they know we don't call intermediate passes with any regularity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaholic View Post
            I think we all prefer long, will breaking, TD drives.
            Anything that rests the D.
            I concur.

Comment

Our OL at least seems to have stopped the driving killing false starts.

Comment

I read that in the last 3 games against Washington, Clemson and FSU, that we were a grand total of 9 of 45 on 3rd down conversions. That's a worrisome stat. But we have to realize we were 1 second away from winning all 3 of those games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                  Our OL at least seems to have stopped the driving killing false starts.
                  [insert knocks on wood emoji]
                  "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                  Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Comment

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post

[insert knocks on wood emoji]
                    The odds are reduced when the number of offensive plays is reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post

The odds are reduced when the number of offensive plays is reduced.
                      And Coach Saban places extra emphasis on explosive plays....
                      "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                      Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Comment

I would love to see us get back to this tomorrow. Obviously it starts with OL play... And if we can't dominate Fresno up front we've got a long way to go.

At least give Jalen time in the pocket to see where he's at. Make a few reads and progressions.

Would love to see Tua get in and get some PT! Also interested in N. Harris and Brian Robinson. By all means lets keep Harris and Bo healthy, so a few nice drives early would be perfect.

Comment

Working...
                        X