Texas AM OL breakdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas AM OL breakdown

Hello all, after the AM game a lot of people have jumped on Jalen again. I asked 1 of our OL to do a breakdown with video when he got some time. He delivered to me this morning. Obviously it wasn’t our best showing offensively but the assessment by our OL is that they were a shit show, they know and so does the Team. You have to remember Jalen is doing what Saban is asking of him, don’t turn it over and use your legs. See below for comments.

“Watch these 2 plays in a row and make suggestions on what else he could do on both plays. This is a good example of how bad the pass pro was Sat night. There are two things that have to happen for a pocket to be created in pass pro. The C's and OGs are responsible for the depth of the pocket. the OT's are responsible for the width. Most of the time the width of the pocket is what breaks down first (best pass rushers vs OT's) and if the interior of the OL has created the depth of the pocket the QB can step up and avoid the outside rush.

On both of these plays you will see Jalen be forced to step up and there is nowhere to step up to.”

Fast forward to the 1:03:00 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR_qpCSTV9A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Boz!

Like it's been noted, a&m is #2 in sacks and #11 in TFL, so they were stout up front. Still, little excuse and big un's gotta do better.

Comment

Just some fun facts of how AJ fared vs the 4 best defense he played at Bammer. Should come as no surprise that all 4 were LSU so take a peek at what AJ did in those 4 games…….Hint it wasn’t the explosive passing attack many are expecting out of Jalen and the only game AJ lost he had a critical INT

2011 vs LSU- 16/28 199 yards
      NCG vs LSU- 23/34 234 yards
      2012 vs LSU- 14/27 165 yards
      2013 vs LSU- 14/20 179 yards

Comment

Boz -- Thanks for posting this. Good to know that OL knows they sucked vs aTm. So...OK...they want to fix what went wrong. But can they?? I have begun to wonder about the ability of this OL bunch. I'd like to believe they have the ability to play better, but..... Help my unbelief!!

Comment

Originally posted by McBaman
          Boz -- Thanks for posting this. Good to know that OL knows they sucked vs aTm. So...OK...they want to fix what went wrong. But can they?? I have begun to wonder about the ability of this OL bunch. I'd like to believe they have the ability to play better, but..... Help my unbelief!!
          Here is the weak link, Cotton is plain as day. There are two option from what I’m hearing

Move Womack inside and Wills outside or the other way around. They had hoped cotton would improve and he hasn’t. It may shuffle even as soon as this week.

Comment

When hasn't a John Chavis defense given us all we can handle? His players are buying in. He deserves some credit. I know the OL had some glaring shortcomings, but I think it will wake them up and make them focus more. Hope so anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post
              When hasn't a John Chavis defense given us all we can handle? His players are buying in. He deserves some credit. I know the OL had some glaring shortcomings, but I think it will wake them up and make them focus more. Hope so anyway.
              Yep, Chavis is the key!

Comment

Thanks for sharing your convo with a team member!

I don't think the blame has to be placed on one position group entirely though. It was clear to anyone watching the game that there were several problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimsonboz View Post

Here is the weak link, Cotton is plain as day. There are two option from what I’m hearing

Move Womack inside and Wills outside or the other way around. They had hoped cotton would improve and he hasn’t. It may shuffle even as soon as this week.

The big question is why have they not made this move? Is it loyalty to Cotton (local guy) and the fear that the move could hurt recruiting? Also will note comments by Wills when asked to try guard at the HS Allstar game "I am not a guard, Im going to Alabama to play tackle not guard"....pretty much he will sit before playing guard. is he that good to dictate where he will play? Cotton was a tackle but made the move to get PT. (not that it has worked).
                  Would think the next couple games would be the ideal time to make a change and get the OL some real time experience in the new config.

I will join the others in giving thanks to your post Boz.. good to see your insights

Comment

Working...
                  X