Do you think Saban is great "coach"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Saban is great "coach"?

He's an incredible recruiter, motivator and psychologist, but is he a great X's and O's guy?

Does he seem to get outcoached when it really counts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Biff View Post
    He's an incredible recruiter, motivator and psychologist, but is he a great X's and O's guy?

Yes.
    Yes.
    No.

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven

Yes.
      Yes.
      No.
      This man loves his koolaid

Comment

This man loves his koolaid

The facts speak for themselves. When your flow lessens, you'll return to reality.

Comment

If you don't believe he has been outcoached numerous times over the years, then you are blinded by your fandom.

And this has nothing to do with the Iron Bowl. That was completely on the team.

I have to assume you don't understand the question.

Comment

If you don't believe he has been outcoached numerous times over the years, then you are blinded by your fandom.

And this has nothing to do with the Iron Bowl. That was completely on the team.

I have to assume you don't understand the question.

He's coached hundreds of games. Every coach has been outcoached at times. Saban was outcoached by Fran, for example. He's been outcoached in games we've won. MSU this year might be an example.

Comment

#TeamDabo

Comment

Saban is elite in all aspects of coaching, but he's not perfect. All coaches get outcoached, particularly when the head coach is a defensive guy and it's the offense that under-performs (or vice versa). Having said that, much of the time when a fanbase clamors about their head coach being outcoached, it was actually player execution that was to blame.

Comment

I agree with Biff. Coaches are over rated. Played lots of 5 on 5 pick up games. scored much tds. Didn't have a coach. College kids can draw up any play. Look at Kiffen.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bamaholic; 11-27-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaholic View Post
                    I agree with Biff. Coaches are over rated. Played lots of 5 on 5 pick up games. scored much tds. Didn't have a coach. College kids can draw up any play. Look at Kiffen.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

If coaching is just drawing up a play against other guys just drawing up a play, then you and Biff are absolutely correct.

We had a coach at my kids' high school (high school ranged in size from 2,200 to 3,500 or so while he was there, largest classification in GA) who made the choice not to coach varsity because he was pursuing the ministry and wasn't available to do the 8 or 10 hours of film work the HS coaches did on Sundays. He had a limited role on Friday nights, but he coached the freshman team and went undefeated for five or six years straight. At the same time, the varsity was weak to mediocre. Every week, at the varsity, JV and freshman levels, we were pitted against superior athletes. We spoke a few times about why the varsity couldn't replicate the success of the freshman teams (I was booster club president and this was a source of concern for parents - some thought my job was to listen to their complaints). His answer was simple: I coach against the worst coaches. The brand new guy or the guy who's barely hanging on is given the freshman team. In his case, he was experienced, coached a disciplined team to execute and almost always exposed weaknesses of the other team the other coaches couldn't recognize or adjust to correct.

Comment

You fellas aren't understanding my question.

Do you think he consistently makes the right calls on the field in crunch time? The split second decisions that come up in tight games.

Comment

Originally posted by Biff

He is a great X and O coach, and a great game day coach making key decisions during a game. Right now you are only remembering the negative. The blitz call against Texas, the onside kick against Clemson, every fourth down attempt until Auburn this year was successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

At the end of the day, Coaching is a team supported activity. The Head Coach is dependent upon the information he gets from the team (especially the ones in the pressbox who should have a superior view of the goings on on the field). Every year HCNS has to break in a new group of coaches, and this has to be wearing on the trust, and cohesiveness of the "Team" and be somewhat impactful during game day situations. I don't have the numbers just now, but would be really interested in the coaching turn over during HCNS's run at Bama. I think that often this gets overlooked, but this impact on the Process, recruiting and messaging has to take a toll. I think the massive exodus of coaches last year Dis the main reason Bama's recruiting class is so sparsely populated this year.
                          But, I maybe just grasping at straws here and avoiding the real question of do I think he occassionaly gets outcoached. He is a great coach who does not change who the team is an just believes that the team will always execute to their best ability, just seems that this does not always happen, especially when the other team devises a scheme to disrupt this execution.
                          Why did we abandon D. Harris and not allow him to run Daboll more? (would have liked to see some plays featuring Jalen as a Slot with Tua as QB; yes everyone would have move to cover a "flanker option pass play" and if possible cool, if not seems someone would be open for Tua to hit from his QB position).

Comment

Ok ITE

Comment

I think he's an above average in game coach. I don't think he's an elite in game coach. I'm certain he'd say the same, and has basically.

Sometimes he's a little hands off for my taste. I'd rather see him use a few more timeouts in the first half. I don't think the staff put together a very good game plan against Auburn, but Auburn was executing at a high level and we weren't so it's hard to judge the plan's validity.
                              Last edited by Hannibal Lecter MD; 11-28-2017, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X