Playoffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
    I prefer to remain realistic. Extreme highs are followed by extreme lows in the event of a loss, and I just can't take it.

I will be cheering as hard as anyone come game time, but I cannot put my blinders on and "unsee" that Clemson has been the better football team the last month of the season.

I need it here

Comment

I prefer to remain realistic. Extreme highs are followed by extreme lows in the event of a loss, and I just can't take it.

I will be cheering as hard as anyone come game time, but I cannot put my blinders on and "unsee" that Clemson has been the better football team the last month of the season.
      I generally agree with this.

However, there are some differences in our normal approach to a few of these big games we've lost. First off, getting the 3 LB's back in a genuinely healthy capacity is HUUUUUGE. Think about this - Since the FSU game, we have not had a single OLB outside of Jennings make a difference making play in the backfield. Not that I can recall at least. Mosley and the freshman have made 0 difference in like 10 straight games. So having Miller and Hall HEALTHY (because Auburn was not healthy) is huge. Throw in Mack Wilson instead of Moses and that's a legit upgrade as well.

More importantly... This is the first time I can actually remember a Nick Saban Alabama team as a perceived underdog since 2009 (Maybe Iron Bowl 2010). They've always had the "pressure" of expectations. For the first time Saban can spin a different motivational factor which should be huge in preparation and potentially playing more freely.

The bigger issue though IMO is the play calling. Look - If we are going to call 30 pass plays let's play the better passer. If we are going to stick to the run then get under center and and/or actually feed these RB's. 18 carries between the 3 of em is ridiculous. There needs to be some substantial changes in game plan if Hurts is going to QB the entire game...And so far I haven't seen Daboll find that "sweet spot" in the 4 big games we've played.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker

I generally agree with this.

However, there are some differences in our normal approach to a few of these big games we've lost. First off, getting the 3 LB's back in a genuinely healthy capacity is HUUUUUGE. Think about this - Since the FSU game, we have not had a single OLB outside of Jennings make a difference making play in the backfield. Not that I can recall at least. Mosley and the freshman have made 0 difference in like 10 straight games. So having Miller and Hall HEALTHY (because Auburn was not healthy) is huge. Throw in Mack Wilson instead of Moses and that's a legit upgrade as well.

More importantly... This is the first time I can actually remember a Nick Saban Alabama team as a perceived underdog since 2009 (Maybe Iron Bowl 2010). They've always had the "pressure" of expectations. For the first time Saban can spin a different motivational factor which should be huge in preparation and potentially playing more freely.

The bigger issue though IMO is the play calling. Look - If we are going to call 30 pass plays let's play the better passer. If we are going to stick to the run then get under center and and/or actually feed these RB's. 18 carries between the 3 of em is ridiculous. There needs to be some substantial changes in game plan if Hurts is going to QB the entire game...And so far I haven't seen Daboll find that "sweet spot" in the 4 big games we've played.
        Healthy versions of Lewis and Mack will certainly help. Moses is improving every week. Getting Ray back at end (hopefully) will help. The LBers have been hurt, but frankly the other factor that has gone less said is that our DL has done a very poor job of soaking up blockers and letting the LBs who are playing roam free. The front has also done a poor job of getting pressure, and thus we've become a very predictable blitzing team on 3rd down.

The offense has been both the result of poor game planning and poor execution. In the last 3 SEC games, we had 51 offensive plays where Hurts was still holding the ball when the whistle was blown. Those plays barely averaged 3 yards a play. For an offense that has struggled to maintain sustained possessions and has gotten much fewer snaps per game, that number is ridiculous. We had 60 and 56 offensive snaps against LSU and MSU, respectively, and that's fairly pathetic.

Comment

Temper my attitude and adjectives through the filter of what the expectations of this team should be. We have some units underperforming based on their ability.

Comment

Healthy versions of Lewis and Mack will certainly help. Moses is improving every week. Getting Ray back at end (hopefully) will help. The LBers have been hurt, but frankly the other factor that has gone less said is that our DL has done a very poor job of soaking up blockers and letting the LBs who are playing roam free. The front has also done a poor job of getting pressure, and thus we've become a very predictable blitzing team on 3rd down.

The offense has been both the result of poor game planning and poor execution. In the last 3 SEC games, we had 51 offensive plays where Hurts was still holding the ball when the whistle was blown. Those plays barely averaged 3 yards a play. For an offense that has struggled to maintain sustained possessions and has gotten much fewer snaps per game, that number is ridiculous. We had 60 and 56 offensive snaps against LSU and MSU, respectively, and that's fairly pathetic.
            Agreed on the DL... Mostly in the passing game. Moses was M.I.A. in the Auburn game and was not ready for that situation... Don't care how many tackles he had against Mercer... Not his fault either.

Evans' aggression many times has him picking the wrong hole which leads to some gashes as well. But yes, back in the day the DL did most of the heavy lifting in the run game. Not the case so far

I'm telling you though... Our OLB's have been absolutely non existent past Jennings every now and then. Having 2 dudes that can make plays in the run game and pass rush will make a gigantic difference. Mosley is hands down the least impressive OLB we've ever had in meaningful snaps. Hootie (or Tony Brown) the same as DB's... Addition by subtraction with whoever takes over at safety.

Hurts...Frustrating deal. I would say half the pass plays we call end up with him leaking out to his right and keeping or throwing away. Which is why I'm a believer in playing Tua a few series just to break tendency. Also because he's a better passer. But the bigger issue to me is not committing to the run game and helping Hurts be more efficient with those called pass plays.... Because putting the ball in his hands all 4 quarters is silly. Our OL's are much better run blocking than pass blocking too. Just mind boggling to me that we don't ground and pound as much as possible

Comment

I pretty much agree with what Hannibal & Tidestalker have said. I'll add two points: [1] The OL has been a big problem most of the season. Playing against inferior opponents masked how poorly they were playing. IMHO, this is a result of bad recruiting and poor coaching. I don't see this getting fixed without some new players & maybe new OL coaches. Mid season there was talk of changes in the OL. Didn't happen. Why not? [2] If one more coach/player says "we didn't execute" I think I will throw up. Nobody ever says WHY they didn't execute. If the coaches can't teach the players how to execute, then we need some new coaches. If the players simply can't get the job done, then we need different players in some positions. Why is this so hard to figure out?

The poor performance by the OL & the poor performance by Hurts & the poor play calling/play design all go together. If there is not significant improvement in play design/calling to better fit the abilities of the team, Clemson will blow us away. I hope that doesn't happen and I will be cheering RTR as loud as anybody. Rising to the occasion will be a big stretch for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by McBaman View Post
                I pretty much agree with what Hannibal & Tidestalker have said. I'll add two points: [1] The OL has been a big problem most of the season. Playing against inferior opponents masked how poorly they were playing. IMHO, this is a result of bad recruiting and poor coaching. I don't see this getting fixed without some new players & maybe new OL coaches. Mid season there was talk of changes in the OL. Didn't happen. Why not? [2] If one more coach/player says "we didn't execute" I think I will throw up. Nobody ever says WHY they didn't execute. If the coaches can't teach the players how to execute, then we need some new coaches. If the players simply can't get the job done, then we need different players in some positions. Why is this so hard to figure out?

The poor performance by the OL & the poor performance by Hurts & the poor play calling/play design all go together. If there is not significant improvement in play design/calling to better fit the abilities of the team, Clemson will blow us away. I hope that doesn't happen and I will be cheering RTR as loud as anybody. Rising to the occasion will be a big stretch for this team.
                I halfway agree... Yes the OL has been bad at pass blocking.

But run blocking... I think they've been good. The Iron Bowl the RB's avg almost 7 YPC.... How much better can it get? Unfortunately the RB's only got 18 carries.

Comment

Both SEC teams favored now after the rape allegation again Oklahoma's leading RB.

Comment

Both SEC teams favored now after the rape allegation again Oklahoma's leading RB.
                    I didn't see that in the news. Is it for real?

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post

I didn't see that in the news. Is it for real?

Yes. However it seems like BS since the girl was pursuing the RB after the alleged rape. At least from what I read... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker View Post

Yes. However it seems like BS since the girl was pursuing the RB after the alleged rape. At least from what I read... lol
                        Wimmenz are taking over the world, one allegation at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post

Wimmenz are taking over the world, one allegation at a time.
                          These guys that have been power hungry, serial abusers for years deserve what they're getting. I'm waiting for the backlash as others overreach, though.
                          The Sexual-Harassment Racket Is Over

For a quarter century we had been stuck in He Said/She Said. Now predators are on notice.

By
                          Peggy Noonan
                          Nov. 23, 2017 3:48 p.m. ET

This Thanksgiving I find myself thankful for something that is roiling our country. I am glad at what has happened with the recent, much-discussed and continuing sexual-harassment revelations and responses. To repeat the obvious, it is a watershed event, which is something you can lose sight of when you’re in the middle of it. To repeat the obvious again, journalists broke the back of the scandal when they broke the code on how to report it. For a quarter century we had been stuck in the He Said/She Said. Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas gave their testimonies, each offered witnesses, and the fair minded did their best with the evidence at hand while sorting through all the swirling political agendas. In the end I believed Mr. Thomas. But nobody knows, or rather only two people do.

What happened during the past two years, and very much in the past few months, is that reporters and news organizations committed serious resources to unearthing numbers and patterns. Deep reporting found not one or two victims of an abuser but, in one case, that of Bill Cosby, at least 35. So that was the numbers. The testimony of the women who went on the record, named and unnamed, revealed patterns: the open bathrobe, the running shower, the “Let’s change our meeting from the restaurant to my room/your apartment/my guesthouse.” Once you, as a fair-minded reader, saw the numbers and patterns, and once you saw them in a lengthy, judicious, careful narrative, you knew who was telling the truth. You knew what was true. Knowing was appalling and sometimes shocking, but it also came as a kind of relief.

Once predators, who are almost always repeat offenders, understood the new way of reporting such stories, they understood something else: They weren’t going to get away with it anymore. They’d never known that. And they were going to pay a price, probably in their careers. They’d never known that, either.

Why did this happen now? It was going to happen at some point: Sexual harassment is fairly endemic. Quinnipiac University released a poll this week showing 60% of American women voters say they’ve experienced it. Maybe the difference now is that the Clintons are gone—more on that in a moment. And maybe there’s something in this: Sexual harassment, at least judging by the testimony of recent accusers, has gotten weirder, stranger, more brutish. The political director of a network news organization invites you to his office, trains his eyes on you and masturbates as you tell him about your ambitions? The Hollywood producer hires an army of foreign goons to spy on you and shut you up? It has gotten weird out there. These stories were going to blow up at some point.

Sexual harassment is not over because sin is not over. “The devil has been busy!” a journalist friend said this week as another story broke. But as a racket it will never be the same.

Comment

off the rails

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaholic View Post
                              off the rails
                              Yes. Unless someone is hanging mistletoe in the Super Dome and thus promoting rape cutlutre,t his is distraction. Focus.

Comment

Originally posted by rueben View Post

Yes. Unless someone is hanging mistletoe in the Super Dome and thus promoting rape cutlutre,t his is distraction. Focus.
                                Maybe Bama will be the rapist. I'm focused.

Comment

Working...
                                X