Next Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Season

How do we look? Many seem to think we will be untouchable.

Let's assume Tua starts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Biff View Post
    How do we look? Many seem to think we will be untouchable.

Let's assume Tua starts.

My only concern is the number of DBs we're losing. It's gonna take some guys stepping up to fill those shoes. I think we are good at just about every other position. I know Ridley will be moving on but good Lord, we are stacked at WR.

Comment

The offense should be absolutely stacked regardless of whether Tua or Jalen starts, or if both play.

I think the biggest cause for concern is the potential losses of both safeties as well as Daron Payne. You're replacing two starters up front in Payne and Hand, you lose Evans and Hamilton at DB, then potentially your top 6 DBs in Averettt, Wallace, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Brown, and Jones (although losing Jones doesn't concern me). At LB, we unfortunately got a ton of experience for the younger guys this year, so I don't think that's the area of concern. Losing Payne could really hurt. I don't know if we have a game changing nose like Payne to set the defense. We will be very young in the defensive backfield, but I have confidence in Saban's ability to develop those guys.
      barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post
        The offense should be absolutely stacked regardless of whether Tua or Jalen starts, or if both play.

I think the biggest cause for concern is the potential losses of both safeties as well as Daron Payne. You're replacing two starters up front in Payne and Hand, you lose Evans and Hamilton at DB, then potentially your top 6 DBs in Averettt, Wallace, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Brown, and Jones (although losing Jones doesn't concern me). At LB, we unfortunately got a ton of experience for the younger guys this year, so I don't think that's the area of concern. Losing Payne could really hurt. I don't know if we have a game changing nose like Payne to set the defense. We will be very young in the defensive backfield, but I have confidence in Saban's ability to develop those guys.
        Spot on. We found out that we could play with out SDH, but losing him and Evans could leave a glaring gap in talent. Will most definitely miss Payne.

Comment

Hanni said this in the game thread, but what exactly does jalen do better than tua? Jalen should compete in spring and then transfer. He is good enough to play somewhere but not good enough here. That isn't being harsh, it's reality

edit: unless hurts is willing to change positions. He is an excellent athlete
          Last edited by Stan; 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

I would love to see him change positions, but we're pretty thin at QB behind Tua. If it's a game changer, then I think he'd make a good WR, but we're already stacked there.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
              Hanni said this in the game thread, but what exactly does jalen do better than tua? Jalen should compete in spring and then transfer. He is good enough to play somewhere but not good enough here. That isn't being harsh, it's reality

edit: unless hurts is willing to change positions. He is an excellent athlete
              Talking heads think he'd be great in the backfield

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater
                I would love to see him change positions, but we're pretty thin at QB behind Tua. If it's a game changer, then I think he'd make a good WR, but we're already stacked there.
                Is there a #3 QB?

Comment

I don't know if he would accept being the backup, but there's clearly a package for Hurts as a QB. Do we want him throwing it 40 times a game? Nope. Are there situations where a man that can bench press approximately the state of Texas could be useful? Sure.
                  barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Can Hurts kick?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hurts is a good athlete for QB. He wouldn't carry the "good athlete" label at any other position on the field that his size allows him to play. He might contribute in a small way, but I don't see any big role.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                        Hurts is a good athlete for QB. He wouldn't carry the "good athlete" label at any other position on the field that his size allows him to play. He might contribute in a small way, but I don't see any big role.
                        Yeah, him converting to RB makes 0 sense. His run game was good...but any time the QB runs its like a trick play. He could either throw or take off. If he lines up as an RB and gets his hand on the ball there's no question what he's going to do with it. I don't think he does so well if put in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                          He would be hard to rotate at QB too. The other team would know that if Hurts was on the field he would be running the ball.

Comment

I wouldn't write in Tua and write off Hurts just yet. Saban despises turnovers and prizes ball security. Tua is electric, but he's going to have more turnovers than Hurts just based on his style of play. His decision making probably will improve as he gains experience at this level. But his up side, in my estimation, is so much higher than Hurts.

I think the biggest question this off season and Spring will be Saban's comfort level with stomaching the risk/reward equation between Tua and Hurts.
                            "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                            Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Comment

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post
                              I wouldn't write in Tua and write off Hurts just yet. Saban despises turnovers and prizes ball security. Tua is electric, but he's going to have more turnovers than Hurts just based on his style of play. His decision making probably will improve as he gains experience at this level. But his up side, in my estimation, is so much higher than Hurts.

I think the biggest question this off season and Spring will be Saban's comfort level with stomaching the risk/reward equation between Tua and Hurts.
                              Hasnt Tua thrown more interceptions this year than Hurts?

Comment

Working...
                              X