No announcement yet.

Interesting read on Tua's hypothetical impact on college football/offensive philsophy

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting read on Tua's hypothetical impact on college football/offensive philsophy

Could that final gorgeous play by Bama's freshman phenom quarterback herald a renaissance of college quarterbacks who can both run when necessary but also read secondaries and manipulate them to make throws downfield? Are we finally at the termination point of the read-option orgy? Only time will tell, but Tua Togavailoa gives us hope.

As the final pass on the final play of the college football season zinged out of Tua Tagovailoa’s left hand, you could practically hear it fizz.

You know what I mean if you’ve ever been in close physical proximity to a quarterback who can spin the ball that way. It has a sound to it, the hiss of a thousand tiny leather nipples carving through the air. When you hear the sound, you always see the wondrous accompanying image – a football going phooom in a graceful arc at velocity as if a guided missile.

I’m old, so when I saw the Hawai`ian kid throw that ball, I thought of Joe Namath. To me, he and John Elway will always be the gold standard for guys who could propel a football that way. It just exploded out of his hand as if it carried its own energy.

That’s how beautiful that throw was. I’ve seen longer throws that won games, even on the last play. But I can’t recall seeing a college freshman who not only flung it like that but looked off the throw-side safety in a cover-two for a good two beats before he threw it. It was an NFL throw in every way.

Which brings us to the potential impact of Tua Tagovailoa. He’s not big for a pocket quarterback (and yes he can run, too), only a smidge over 6 feet. We don’t even know if he’ll end up as the starting QB on his own team next fall, but I’m asking the question:

Is this the quarterback who changes college football?

Specifically, is Tagovailoa the one who shifts us away from a numbing succession of decade upon decade of bland handoff widgets on power-running-and-defense teams and “dual-threat” read-option keepers and returns us to the days of Brady and Manning and Brees and Marino and Young – great pro-style college quarterbacks who came to the NFL ready to run a professional offense?

I sure as hell hope so. Not only does the NFL need this shift, college football needs it simply to escape the read-option monotony.

And, just to be clear, I understand that the NFL is necessarily morphing its offenses to accommodate mobile quarterbacks and infusing its own game with some college concepts. I think the future of the league will be in the hands of hybrid QBs, the first of whom was actually probably Steve Young, 30 years ago.
    For the rest of the story:

Steve Young sucks cock. He has Montana's 5th ring. Montana probably wins more than just the one Young won if SF hadn't blown it.