***Official 2018 MLB Thread***

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Official 2018 MLB Thread***

In honor of the start of spring training (and to help fill the vacuum left by lack of football)...

Pitchers and catchers report today and practice starts tomorrow. Baseball season is upon us!
    barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Predictions?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post
        Predictions?
        Cubs and Yanks. I'd feel better about that prediction if the Yanks still had Girardi though.

Comment

With so many decent free agents hanging around, I reserve the right to change these later, but I'll play your little game:

AL East: Red Sox - If Price can stay healthy, they have a slight edge over my Yankees. Still not sold our our pitching.
          AL Central: Indians - Considering the Royals, Tigers, and White Sox aren't even trying to win right now, it's a 2 team race and one of those clearly has more horses.
          AL West: Astros - They basically lost no one of note from last year's team.
          WC 1: Yankees
          WC 2: Twins - I'm giving the Twins the edge here due to getting to play the other three teams in the Central so many times. I think the Angels have a better team, but play a harder schedule.

AL Wildcard: Yankees over Twins
          ALDS: Indians over Yankees
          ALDS: Astros over Red Sox
          ALCS: Astros over Indians

NL East: Nationals - Only the Mets are trying to win in the division and they are counting on a lot of duct tape and bailing twine.
          NL Central: Cubs - Darvish seals the deal for them. Brewers and Cards both improved though.
          NL West: Dodgers - Really good division, but no one else can really put up a legitimate fight against the Dodgers and their depth.
          WC 1: Brewers - Added a lot thus far, and I think they eventually will sign Arrieta.
          WC 2: Diamondbacks - I've giving the Dbacks the nod over the Cards here mostly because of Goldschmidt. The Cards are solid but their best position player is probably Marcell Ozuna.

NL Wildcard: Brewers over Diamondbacks (assuming they sign Arrieta)
          NLDS: Dodgers over Brewers
          NLDS: Cubs over Nationals
          NLCS: Dodgers over Cubs

World Series: Dodgers over Astros (assuming they don't have one of their guys blow up on the mind like Darvish did last year, they are a more complete team IMO)

Comment

Hey Hanni -- What about moving the latest comments in this thread into a new "MLB 2018" thread? Some of the comments in this thread are waaaay out of date.

As for the Yanks....given the team now, being younger and with a younger mindset, I'm not surprised the team cut Girardi loose. The jury will be out for a while on A Boone though.

Comment

Barney, I think Darvish has outlived his usefulness for the most part. I don't see the Cubs improving. I think it will be the Dodgers and the Stros again this year in the WS.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

Cubs and Yanks. I'd feel better about that prediction if the Yanks still had Girardi though.
                I like the way you think.........

but, the Cubs starting rotation will be a big question mark for me.
                "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post

I like the way you think.........

but, the Cubs starting rotation will be a big question mark for me.
                  The Cubs are projected to have the 3rd best pitching staff in baseball next season after the Darvish addition and it's not heavily weighted towards the bullpen either. The Yankees are projected to have a good total staff but a large chunk of that is our elite bullpen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WAR Projections.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	46331

Comment

As an Astros fan since my grandfather made me one 40 years ago I choose to live in 2017.
                    But...it does look good for at least 2018. In 19 they'll have to let some of them go because they can't afford to re-sign that entire core of Altuve, Springer, Bregman and Correa plus the ace pitchers.

Comment

MOBILE, Ala. — The famous duck boat sits motionless in the quiet of a shed at the center of the property...
                      "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                      Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                      Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                      Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Very good article!

Comment

Wow, what an article. Peavy was always one of my favorites, and that certainly doesn't do anything but concrete that. I will be rooting for his comeback.

Comment

Working...
                          X