FBI basketball probe to include HOF coaches, top programs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI basketball probe to include HOF coaches, top programs

Multiple sources who’ve been briefed on the case and are familiar with the material obtained by feds told Yahoo Sports that the impact on the sport will be substantial and relentless. Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”
    https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-col...224417174.html

I see Pearl the squirrel up to his eyeballs in this.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post
      I see Pearl the squirrel up to his eyeballs in this.
      FAU knew he was a snake when they picked him. Hope they get bitten and have to amputate at the neck.
      "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
      Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
      Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
      Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

UA Basketball has SUCKED too long to be involved in this...

Comment

Originally posted by Gideon Swashbuckler View Post
          UA Basketball has SUCKED too long to be involved in this...
          We did have some connection when the story first came out.
          barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Things are going to get nasty.

Sources familiar with the probe told Yahoo Sports that there’s a surprising level of specificity in the documents, bank records and wiretaps involving Miller’s business. They include exact dollar figures and intricate documentation of payments to the families of college players. There are also conversations brokering deals between Dawkins and the clients he was recruiting.

“There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” said a source familiar with the investigation. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.”

According to the sources, the financial records from Miller and wiretap conversations featuring Dawkins illuminate the blatant nature of deal-making to land top talent well before the players turn professional. Those deals could threaten the current eligibility of players because of NCAA amateurism rules and retroactively put in peril the contests participated in by those players. Sources said this includes numerous prominent players in the upcoming NCAA tournament, the showcase of college basketball. “It’s all there,” said a different source familiar with the investigation.
            https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-spr...001618078.html

Comment

This may be the most interesting tournament ever.

edit: assuming the names come out before the tournament
              Last edited by Stan; 02-22-2018, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Well if you had to have a first round pick in the last 3 years to be worried, we should be good to go.

Comment

Sexton implicated again. Looks like it has to do with meals other than the one he was suspended for.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...tial_ncaa.html

Sexton's name doesn't appear on the "Loan to Players" documentation of the report. However, it does appear on a list of players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins.

Comment

Why would he pay back one meal and not the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                      Why would he pay back one meal and not the other?
                      I know. You'd think they had all the information at the time of his suspension.

Comment

From what I've read, they don't know who actually paid for the meals. The cost for the meal reported could've been the cost for Dawkins and some other member of the agency. They don't know that he actually paid for the player or player's family meals.

Comment

Everything is fine assuming Sexton and his family were forthcoming from the beginning.
                          Last edited by Hannibal Lecter MD; 02-23-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

And to be honest, this is so wide ranging that one dinner for Sexton is probably not a high priority.

Comment

There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars.

The documents show an operation that could create NCAA rules issues for at least 20 Division I basketball programs and more than 25 players, including some of the biggest names in the sport.
                              "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                              Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                              Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                              Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Working...
                              X