Chris Lowe: Saban not close to finished

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Lowe: Saban not close to finished

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Earlier this month, Alabama coach Nick Saban finally got to enjoy his first full day off in Tuscaloosa since the season ended. Sure, he'd spent a few days vacationing in Florida and even played golf at Augusta National, but this was his first time to kick back and relax at the house, enjoying the aftermath of another national title.

At one point, Saban turned to his wife, Terry, and joked, "What the hell are we going to do the rest of the day?

It was 8 a.m.

For a guy who hears with increasing frequency that he might be nearing the finish line -- perhaps wishful thinking from rival recruiters as much as anything -- the 66-year-old Saban isn't showing any signs of slowing down, as Alabama begins another year of spring practice on Tuesday. And for that matter, he can't imagine what he would do if he weren't coaching football.

"That's what everybody keeps saying, that I'm not going to be doing this for much longer, and all the people who say it have no idea what I'm going to do," Saban told ESPN during a wide-ranging interview. "I've been involved in some fashion with football and being a part of a football team ever since I can remember. I don't know what it would be like not doing it and don't want to know."

One of Saban's former coaching rivals, Hall of Famer Steve Spurrier, said the rest of the college football world might want to take Saban at his word when he says retirement hasn't crossed his mind. The two talked after Spurrier stepped down during the 2015 season, and Spurrier said their conversation was telling.

"Nick ain't thinking about retiring, not even close," Spurrier said. "He can go into his 70s easy, and I think he will.

"I told him he won't retire until he loses three games in a season. He told me, 'If I ever lose three games around here again, they might kill me.' I think he was joking, but I'm not sure."
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...coaching-plans

Holy crap, we are spoiled!

Just as impressive is that Alabama never has a real letdown. The Tide have lost just one game to a team ranked outside the top 15 in the AP poll in the past 10 years, that lone loss coming to Spurrier's No. 19 South Carolina Gamecocks in 2010. For perspective, Ohio State has lost 10 games to teams ranked outside the top 15 during that same span, Oklahoma 13 games, Florida State 20 games, Clemson 21 games and USC 26 games.

Since Saban's second season in 2008, Alabama has played just three regular-season games in which it hasn't been legitimately in the national championship conversation, the three games against Mississippi State, Georgia State and Auburn in 2010 after losing 24-21 at LSU on Nov. 6.

In the Crimson Tide's five national championship seasons under Saban, they went 17-2 against Top 10 opponents, and since the start of Saban's second season in Tuscaloosa in 2008 they're 27-9 overall against Top 10 foes.

Comment

These are the good old days......
      "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
      Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Comment

It probably will never be this good again.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          It probably will never be this good again.
          Until this season.

Comment

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post
            These are the good old days......
            Exactly. TRY to enjoy every game.

Comment

Working...
            X