Camp Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Updates

Sorry boys! I been gone too damn long and done fell behind. Need some insider info... What's going down?

Anyone hear how the scrimmage went today?

From what I could gather leading up...

-Jeudy injury sucks

-Super thin at DB until the freshman arrive... Savion Smith looks like a beast in pads

-The DL is thin in experience but have a handful of studs. Buggs / Williams / Davis. Need some others to fill in! Who's going to step up?

-Lots of movement on the OL. Please tell me Leatherwood will be starting... If he's coming off the bench I'm going to have a fit

-Who's going to be the 3rd / 4th MLB? I have some concerns about that position... at least depth wise

-I'M CONVINCED THERE WILL BE A 2 QB SYSTEM. I know that's not what most want to hear... But it's the safest bet. When the pass game isn't running smoothly, you have Jalen to ground and pound. When the run game is stifled you have Tua. More importantly both are capable of doing the other thing! Which is ultimately why I like that idea... Designed runs for Tua when the D is thinking pass will be money... A couple deep balls from Jalen when the D is stacked in the box should be wide open. I see it 66% Tua / 33% Jalen. JMO

What y'all thinkin? RTR

I'll be your huckleberry.

Injuries are what they are. I refuse to get bent out of shape about an ever-present, unpreventable thing. It's like getting angry at the rain. Over the long term, all teams get the same amount of injuries, and so the advantage goes to the teams with the most quality depth. We're always at the top of that list.

Regarding our ability to practice, we're thin at DB. Regarding gamedays sans injuries, we're fine, particularly when Diggs returns. Again, assuming this group remains healthy, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do. Sure, we'll have some growing pains early, but we have a nice, athletic group from which to create a starting unit. I think we'll be fine.

We gotta manufacture more quality depth at DLine, no doubt. I'm waiting and believing that the next wave will emerge as it always does, like the tide (pun intended). I really like the first group, but this - of all positions - needs lots of rotation to be effective in the 4th.

Our starting ILBs are absolute studs. We've recruited well enough to have able bodies in the second unit, whether I can name them or not. But life is too damn short to worry about who the backup ILBs are mid-spring. Our starters are legit, and there's lots of reps to be had before September. How many fanbases would love to have these types of worries? It's laughable that this issue was type-worthy in your estimation.

I'm thoroughly convinced that we will not have a 2-QB system, as I don't think it creates any significant advantage for us offensively. Couple that with the fact that Bama of late has had a serious problem on the recruiting trail after 2 years of Jalen Hurts not spreading the ball around. A receiver literally said a few months ago, paraphrasing, "Why would I go to Bama? They don't throw the ball." We will be a selectively-fast-paced Pro-style offense with spread concepts and have Tua at the helm for every meaningful snap that he's healthy.

I think Hurts will make a go of it at QB, and I think our QB depth is such a concern that Saban wants and needs Hurst to do just that. However, I foresee by late in fall camp that, assuming Tua is healthy, Hurts will become the 3rd QB in practice and games, practicing at another position, with Mac Jones getting the 2nd team reps in practice by October. I predict Hurts will be playing a hybrid RB/H/Slot End position.

Regarding other stuff, I think our offense should be absotively nasty this year, assuming Tua and the Oline stays healthy. I'm really looking forward to the D as well. It's like I got new parts for my buzzsaw and I wanna see how it works. May need some tweaking, but a buzzsaw it will remain.

Kicking concerns me a tad. Our Defense pairs well with a great punter, and we've been spoiled. And I saw too many championships lost by FSU cause they couldn't hit FGs. We gotta figure out a way to hit the gimmies, at least.

Roll Tide.

Comment

Post more often, guys!

Comment

Originally posted by prevatt33 View Post
        Our starting ILBs are absolute studs. We've recruited well enough to have able bodies in the second unit, whether I can name them or not. But life is too damn short to worry about who the backup ILBs are mid-spring. Our starters are legit, and there's lots of reps to be had before September. How many fanbases would love to have these types of worries? It's laughable that this issue was type-worthy in your estimation.

Regarding our ability to practice, we're thin at DB. Regarding gamedays sans injuries, we're fine, particularly when Diggs returns. Again, assuming this group remains healthy, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they can do. Sure, we'll have some growing pains early, but we have a nice, athletic group from which to create a starting unit. I think we'll be fine

It's never too early to worry about these things... It's what me and Saban do!
        You can laugh now and cry later if Holcombe plays has to play in the Iron Bowl again...

But for real - Mack was beat up for much of last season. Moses played sparingly and got injured. Can't think of a season the MLB depth wasn't tested... And I believe we've generally played a 3 man rotation anyways? Moses will have to prove himself and I hope there is a guy or two ready to push him. The one I'm super intrigued with is Benton... He's almost the same size and has some speed. McMillon more of a thumper. Ben Davis apparently back at MLB but not sure the light has come on, and 1 freshman enrolling this summer.

In regards to the DB's... We should be in good shape next fall. I agree that Diggs should be ready to roll... It's his time! S. Smith is going to be leaned on. The other piece of the puzzle is star... Which it seems like the staff likes/trusts Shy Carter. Knott and McDonald in the wings! Thompson was a good looking safety and I'm sure one of those young bucks will step forward this Spring... Wright/Mayden/McKinney.

Thanks for the response! RTR

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker View Post

It's never too early to worry about these things... It's what me and Saban do!
          You can laugh now and cry later if Holcombe plays has to play in the Iron Bowl again...

But for real - Mack was beat up for much of last season. Moses played sparingly and got injured. Can't think of a season the MLB depth wasn't tested... And I believe we've generally played a 3 man rotation anyways? Moses will have to prove himself and I hope there is a guy or two ready to push him. The one I'm super intrigued with is Benton... He's almost the same size and has some speed. McMillon more of a thumper. Ben Davis apparently back at MLB but not sure the light has come on, and 1 freshman enrolling this summer.

In regards to the DB's... We should be in good shape next fall. I agree that Diggs should be ready to roll... It's his time! S. Smith is going to be leaned on. The other piece of the puzzle is star... Which it seems like the staff likes/trusts Shy Carter. Knott and McDonald in the wings! Thompson was a good looking safety and I'm sure one of those young bucks will step forward this Spring... Wright/Mayden/McKinney.

Thanks for the response! RTR
          Holcombe was fast and loose before he was put in position of calling the defenses, then he seemed to be "Blake Barnett or deer in the headlights" not sure that killed his confidence or ??? but, I am not sure he will return after playing Baseball during the spring, (could offer some depth, but I see him as moving on and making room for WideVita on the 85 listing. Ben Davis.... who the heck knows, his few plays against Mercer were all "whut? where?" and extremely slow. for a guy who was so hyped as HS senior, just can't figure him out, not sure there will be any help from the freshman (Rivals 2 star, 247 3 star #1207) not all that sold on ranking services since CNS usually sees what they can't; but in this case I feel Bama was desperate and just took someone for depth. So, not sure there will be any real depth added with this player except for practice. I would think some ot the WO's may be better opinion?

Diggs, I am totally not sold on him. The little he played last year as DB, he looked really slow to react, this usually indicated lack of understanding and preparation.I honestly think that if he starts again this year, it well may be a replay of last year; him being replaced by someone else early after getting picked on and beaten badly. But just my thoughts.(can't wait to see the freshmen arrive in a few months)

I have great expectations for the Safety position. Thompson seems ready, sure he made some mistakes last year, but think he was just trying to impress and was pressing too hard. the other group of young safeties all have a lot to offer, just not tons of game time experience.

of most interest is the OL and all of the experiments going on. Casher is so small, just don't see him at anything other than C. Just too short and light. Wills disgust for playing G, he might find a quicker way to PT at G with the number of OT's on the roster (at least this year). And MW, he had lots of good plays last year not sure how you can push him aside, unless the guys jell over the spring while he is out and the OL looks really bad when fall camp starts?

QB - who the heck knows, I was very vocal last year wanting Tua to play, and especially have a package where both were on the field at the same time. adding option plays, especially giving plays like those were Stewart was able to toss TD's. But, I would not be opposed to a 2 qb system, not sure how successful it would be, but more than willing to see how it plays out for a few games, late in the season, DC's would be able to figure out a plan especially in the playoffs. (can you just imagine Uga's fired up D wanting revenge? - but Im not all that sure uga will make the SECCG. Was feeling good about the news about MacJ until this weekends reports of Interceptions in scrimmage... boss don't like no interceptions round here.

Comment

I borrowed this (with permission) from Jamos on the CRS board. He attended yesterday's scrimmage:

I attended the scrimmage today and it felt good to be back in Bryant Denny. It was perfect weather, cold and windy, for the scrimmage and the players reacted to it with lots of energy and a pretty good scrimmage.

All three QBs, Hurts, Tua, and Jones, had some nice plays that included both passing and running. It didn't take Tua long to get the fans excited though as he immediately threw a pass for a TD very similar to the one in the NC game but shorter. I think he had the best day of the three. He didn't see as many reps as Hurts and Jones but he did well when he was on the field. Hurts did well but he still struggles with his timing with the receivers, throwing behind them a little. Jones has added some good weight and had a pretty decent day running and throwing, he looked pretty comfortable on the field.

I was really impressed with the conditioning of the players, especially the defensive players as they are chiseled. There are no big guts on those guys. It was fun to watch when they were working on the red zone offense and defense, some good licks passed on both sides of the ball. It's hard to evaluate how good a team is when there are so many substitutions but I think this team has something good going into the off season. I didn't notice any big time injuries today and that is always good.

The BIG question in everyone's mind has been how will the kicking game be this year after the loss of Scott to graduation. I can honestly say there is no J K Scott on this team but I did see some hope that there might be some improvement in our field goal kicking next season. Joseph Bulovas handled those duties today and he seems to have a decent leg and was consistent. His only miss, I think, was his first attempt and it was about a foot short from about 40 yards out. I'm not sure how many he attempted but I'm sure it was over five and just about all of them were from 35 yards out or better. The other half of the kicking team, punting, didn't impress me so much. I think this might be the weak length in their chain right now. We are all used to seeing Scott boom his kicks 50+ yards and turning the field over for us but I don't see that happening right away. Skyler Delong was handling the punting duties.

Overall, there is a lot of potential in this team and I don't expect any letdown from this past year. There will be some different faces doing the same things that this past year's team did and I expect the same results as last years team, another trip for a Natty. The big key for this team to be successful though will depend on having good leadership and the jury is still out on this.

Comment

Good input by everyone (above), and thanks for posting Jamos' observations from scrimmage.

Comment

Regarding ILB, I wager that McMillon would be first off the bench with Benton to follow. There's been talk of McMillon showing skills dating back to last spring.

I really don't see how any logical Bama fan could consider our QB race to be anything other than the obvious: Tua is the best QB on the roster and makes us a much, much better offense by a mile, but Saban is using a "competition" to get the most out of each player while maintaining the same rules for everyone. Barring Injury, Tua will play every meaningful snap for Bama next year. Sure, Saban's talk of possibly playing both QBs is technically a possibility, as he alluded to it recently and has always maintained over the years that there's no reason why a 2-QB wouldn't work. However, I'd personally be shocked if this idea turned into anything more than a "Passing-capable Wildcat zone-read" package for Jalen, good for only a few snaps a game. We are just orders of magnitude better with Tua at QB.

I'm really excited about Oline this year. This will be our Oline coach's 2nd year with this unit, and we return 4 starters and have recruited well. A dominant Oline will go a long way toward bringing home #18.

Regarding Holcombe, I went back a few months ago and watched our games where he started on youtube, specifically watching him. I did this because I like Holcombe, was an all-state LB myself back in the day, and didn't like the attacks on him and his play on the forums. What I found was that most of the time when he had a glaringly bad play, he actually had a Olineman unblocked in his face. Every LB in the country would be blocked in that scenario 90% of the time. Sure, downhill run support is not his strong suit, but many fans can't see the game for what it is at that level of detail. Secondly, after Rueben Foster left, Holcombe was and is our best LB in pass defense, and it isn't even close. And lastly, Holcombe is very good in pursuit and plays sideline to sideline. My overall point is that while Holcombe is not an elite ILB, he has many good qualities at the position and has played a lot of good snaps for us. Downing the kid is just being a bad fan.

I have no idea why a person wouldn't be sold on Diggs. He's obviously one of the best athletes on the team. Go back and watch the semifinal game last year vs Clemson. Diggs went from returning a gritty punt for about 10, weaving and fighting for what amounts to a first down and doing it in traffic, to laying somebody out of kickoff coverage, all in a matter of minutes. It was very impressive. Diggs was hampered by a nagging ankle injury for much of last year as well, and had an elite starting group in front of him. Diggs is definitely one of our best assets defensively and team wide, and not "being sold" on him is just ludicrous.

Comment

Regarding ILB, I wager that McMillon would be first off the bench with Benton to follow. There's been talk of McMillon showing skills dating back to last spring.

I really don't see how any logical Bama fan could consider our QB race to be anything other than the obvious: Tua is the best QB on the roster and makes us a much, much better offense by a mile, but Saban is using a "competition" to get the most out of each player while maintaining the same rules for everyone. Barring Injury, Tua will play every meaningful snap for Bama next year. Sure, Saban's talk of possibly playing both QBs is technically a possibility, as he alluded to it recently and has always maintained over the years that there's no reason why a 2-QB wouldn't work. However, I'd personally be shocked if this idea turned into anything more than a "Passing-capable Wildcat zone-read" package for Jalen, good for only a few snaps a game. We are just orders of magnitude better with Tua at QB.

I'm really excited about Oline this year. This will be our Oline coach's 2nd year with this unit, and we return 4 starters and have recruited well. A dominant Oline will go a long way toward bringing home #18.

Regarding Holcombe, I went back a few months ago and watched our games where he started on youtube, specifically watching him. I did this because I like Holcombe, was an all-state LB myself back in the day, and didn't like the attacks on him and his play on the forums. What I found was that most of the time when he had a glaringly bad play, he actually had a Olineman unblocked in his face. Every LB in the country would be blocked in that scenario 90% of the time. Sure, downhill run support is not his strong suit, but many fans can't see the game for what it is at that level of detail. Secondly, after Rueben Foster left, Holcombe was and is our best LB in pass defense, and it isn't even close. And lastly, Holcombe is very good in pursuit and plays sideline to sideline. My overall point is that while Holcombe is not an elite ILB, he has many good qualities at the position and has played a lot of good snaps for us. Downing the kid is just being a bad fan.

I have no idea why a person wouldn't be sold on Diggs. He's obviously one of the best athletes on the team. Go back and watch the semifinal game last year vs Clemson. Diggs went from returning a gritty punt for about 10, weaving and fighting for what amounts to a first down and doing it in traffic, to laying somebody out of kickoff coverage, all in a matter of minutes. It was very impressive. Diggs was hampered by a nagging ankle injury for much of last year as well, and had an elite starting group in front of him. Diggs is definitely one of our best assets defensively and team wide, and not "being sold" on him is just ludicrous.
                  Bad fan, good fan, whatever... Just hoping there is good ILB depth because there was a clear drop off when Holcombe had to play. It is what it is. On the other hand, I really hope he plays because he's a perfect special teams player and has some experience. Both are good things.

The reason I see Saban playing both QB's is simple... Same 2 reasons he stuck with him last year despite the offense sputtering for extended periods. He knew Tua was a much better passer but stuck with Hurts anyway until it became dyer. Why?

1. Saban loves Hurts. Loves the kid. No chance he humiliates him by moving him to another position... Too much respect for how he carries himself.

2. Hurts has some innate leadership qualities... Not vocally, but the team respects and wants to ply for him. Makes it very easy for a coach to play 2 QB's when both have proven themselves and appreciated in the locker room. I would never see Saban doing this if it wasn't for the character of the 2 kids at hand... Mature and responsible kids.

Lastly Diggs has big time potential. Seems like a good all around football player kind of like Cyrus Jones back in the day... Bigger though. I think he sews up a spot for sure...

RTR!
                  Last edited by Tidestalker; 04-08-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

You don't have to be a starter to be a great team leader

Comment

.... I have no idea why a person wouldn't be sold on Diggs. He's obviously one of the best athletes on the team. Go back and watch the semifinal game last year vs Clemson. Diggs went from returning a gritty punt for about 10, weaving and fighting for what amounts to a first down and doing it in traffic, to laying somebody out of kickoff coverage, all in a matter of minutes. It was very impressive. Diggs was hampered by a nagging ankle injury for much of last year as well, and had an elite starting group in front of him. Diggs is definitely one of our best assets defensively and team wide, and not "being sold" on him is just ludicrous.
                      Last edited by Tidestalker; Today, 05:53 PM. "Lastly Diggs has big time potential. Seems like a good all around football player kind of like Cyrus Jones back in the day... Bigger though. I think he sews up a spot for sure..."
                      With all due respect, not sure how playing balls out on Punt return or Kick coverage translates to great CB play. Knowing the D and the coverages and CB technic means more than just being a great athlete. Pedigree is there, he has potential, just no experience playing CB and when he did play last year, he was a liability. Hoping there was lots of learning going on he translates it to the field as CB.

Hope you can now have an idea why a person wouldn't be sold on Diggs... (still remember last year's fumbles also). If he can come back and cover anyone, I will eat these words.... I just don't think that may happen

Comment

Saban played Hurts because he had excellent ball security, and we had an awesome defense and punter. Tua was a turnover machine last year in games and practice, which improved starting in November practices. Then the light came on in bowl practice and the rest is history.

There are also conflicting reports about Hurts' leadership, as in his 'get on the bus' speech after the IB loss falling completely on deaf ears. He was the problem holding the offense back.

I'm not saying he's a bad leader, but I do completely disagree with your overall assessment of the Hurts situation.

Comment

Saban played Hurts because he had excellent ball security, and we had an awesome defense and punter. Tua was a turnover machine last year in games and practice, which improved starting in November practices. Then the light came on in bowl practice and the rest is history.

There are also conflicting reports about Hurts' leadership, as in his 'get on the bus' speech after the IB loss falling completely on deaf ears. He was the problem holding the offense back.

I'm not saying he's a bad leader, but I do completely disagree with your overall assessment of the Hurts situation.
                          Fair enough... I think my main point is that any objective fan could see Saban was giving hurts more than the benefit of the doubt... Especially when you see what Tua was capable of... So it seems likely Saban will continue to give him opportunities. For whatever reason he likes him, otherwise would have went to Tua much earlier. (BTW I was on the bench Hurts train and definitely believe Tua is the better QB)

Stan - No one follows a backup who doesn't play. If Hurts plays, even a little, his voice and role will be much more prevalent. And IMO that's why Saban will find him snaps at QB

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker View Post

Fair enough... I think my main point is that any objective fan could see Saban was giving hurts more than the benefit of the doubt... Especially when you see what Tua was capable of... So it seems likely Saban will continue to give him opportunities. For whatever reason he likes him, otherwise would have went to Tua much earlier. (BTW I was on the bench Hurts train and definitely believe Tua is the better QB)

Stan - No one follows a backup who doesn't play. If Hurts plays, even a little, his voice and role will be much more prevalent. And IMO that's why Saban will find him snaps at QB
                            I'm afraid, in this case, you're right. The players stayed with Hurts last year until it became apparent that he wasn't following/trusting the blocking or reading the defenses. Tua won them over in practice. So I agree, Hurts likely won't be a leader for this team unless he plays and plays well.

Comment

If you guys are going to have a meaningful football discussion, shouldn't you be doing it on a site that focuses on football, Alabama football in general?

Comment

Working...
                              X