No announcement yet.

Camp Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's settled then. Barny and I are the only ones that know anything about football in here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bama Problems......
      "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
      Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

Averaging 7.4 yards per play had little to do with the offense actually executing and everything to do with Calvin Ridley being able to outrun Mississippi State's defense. It wasn't a pretty offensive performance at all. I guess it's nice when you can win by just having superior athletes at the skill positions, but it would sure be nice to have some better execution. The game planning and general offensive philosophy was suffering greatly in efforts to essentially justify playing Jalen and using his "strengths." 1/3 of the plays in the State, LSU, and Auburn games resulted in Jalen still holding the ball at the whistle. No thanks. No thanks at all. Do not want.

Harris also averaged almost 12 yards a carry that game and only got 8 touches. How idiotic is that? Jalen Hurts 19 carries for 40 yards. No thanks.
        I believe something like 9 of Jalen's 19 carries were scrambles or sacks. Harris had the one big hitter for 48 and then a 12 and 13, but they were intent on rotating the backs one series at a time (Harris-Bo-Jacobs), and continued to mix them during series in the second half. Jacobs had a streak with three carries/catches for over 10 each, and Bo had one possession where he looked good, giving them both time on the field. Three backs, one QB taking all the snaps, so Jalen had more opportunities. Plus, we ran just 57 plays the entire game. Smaller pie to slice, but I agree Jalen throwing or running it two out of every three plays wasn't ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post

I believe something like 9 of Jalen's 19 carries were scrambles or sacks. Harris had the one big hitter for 48 and then a 12 and 13, but they were intent on rotating the backs one series at a time (Harris-Bo-Jacobs), and continued to mix them during series in the second half. Jacobs had a streak with three carries/catches for over 10 each, and Bo had one possession where he looked good, giving them both time on the field. Three backs, one QB taking all the snaps, so Jalen had more opportunities. Plus, we ran just 57 plays the entire game. Smaller pie to slice, but I agree Jalen throwing or running it two out of every three plays wasn't ideal.
          Jalen got into the habit of scrambling when it wasn't necessary and ran himself into pressure/trouble many times. He couldn't wait to get to the right sideline. The line cannot effectively block if the QB refuses to use a pocket correctly. Tua threw a lot of passes in the second half that Jalen would have bailed on the play long before.

Comment

This is the most activity I have seen on this board since the season ended. and most of it is well thought out and supported with facts other than "I think, so there"
            Wonder if this type of topic and discussion could really bring the Woolly back?

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD

Jalen got into the habit of scrambling when it wasn't necessary and ran himself into pressure/trouble many times. He couldn't wait to get to the right sideline. The line cannot effectively block if the QB refuses to use a pocket correctly. Tua threw a lot of passes in the second half that Jalen would have bailed on the play long before.
              Jalen looked like a squirrel in the middle of a road that's trying to avoid a car.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker View Post

The offense was cringe-worthy in big games with Jalen... No other way to put it.
                This x infinity.

I'm a guy who likes to go back and watch games on youtube. Many times actually. I like to put them on when I'm working on my Jeep or building a table or whatever. I just like to fill the environment with Bama football in the offseason, but almost exclusively stick to the previous years' games only.

And I gotta say...it's not enjoyable to go back and watch most games with Hurts at QB. It's just painfully, agonizingly boring and filled to the brim with plays left on the field. It's so frustrating that I can't do it, save a few games.

Simply put, Hurts was the logical choice 2 years ago, no doubt. He was better than Cooper Bateman. He also had a nice season overall, given that he was a freshman. But he has only taken a small step forward passing in 2 years, and if Tua is who he showed himself to be vs Georgia, it would be an unimaginably terrible decision to play Hurts at QB in the future. Why?

1) There was lots on infighting on the team last year, particularly in the WR room. The 2nd leading receiver had 13 catches on the year for pete's sake. Many players were upset. Can't have that again.

2) Tua's INTs kept him from taking the job earlier. That, by all accounts, is a thing of the past and hasn't been an issue since early November.

3) We've suffered mightily on the recruiting trail with respect to attracting offensive skill positions. No RB wants the QB taking half their carries, and no WR wants to play with a QB who is innacurate, has bad timing, and who gives up on the play quickly. Can't have that again.

Simply put, in Saban's estimation, Hurts was the best option for most of the year because of the turnover issue and he was right. That doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. September Tua and December Tua were very different players. But now, Tua is simply head and shoulders better at playing QB than Hurts, despite Hurts' superior (by a bit, but not a lot) running ability. Couple that with the fact the playing Hurts would ignite even more locker room drama and crush us on the recruiting trail, and it becomes obvious that, barring injury to Tua, Saban simply can't afford to play Hurts at QB again.

Hurts is a heckuva ballplayer and fella, and should be commended by all for his effort in bringing home #17. He certainly played a role in winning it. However, at this juncture, our offensive power, our team chemistry, our recruiting, and our ability to win football games all take a nosedive if he continues lining up at QB for us.

Barring injury, Tua will take every meaningful snap at QB for Bama until he leaves the team. Hurts' time at QB is done. It's just a fact.

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by prevatt33 View Post

2) Tua's INTs kept him from taking the job earlier. That, by all accounts, is a thing of the past and hasn't been an issue since early November.

I agree that Hurts hasn't developed as hoped. But to conclude that Tua's interception ratio is "a thing of the past" is ludicrous. We have only 2 quarters of evidence and second-hand observations of him this spring (in limited duty) with a broken finger. A THING OF THE PAST?

Not saying Hurts is Joe Namath, but before we bury him (on this forum) we'd best see if he has improved. Not many of our starters from the past could "read the field" before their junior years either.

Maybe Tua will continue to develop and lead us to glory again. But don't toss Hurts just yet. He may be our best option (AGAIN)!

Comment

Originally posted by Chechem View Post

I agree that Hurts hasn't developed as hoped. But to conclude that Tua's interception ratio is "a thing of the past" is ludicrous. We have only 2 quarters of evidence and second-hand observations of him this spring (in limited duty) with a broken finger. A THING OF THE PAST?

Not saying Hurts is Joe Namath, but before we bury him (on this forum) we'd best see if he has improved. Not many of our starters from the past could "read the field" before their junior years either.

Maybe Tua will continue to develop and lead us to glory again. But don't toss Hurts just yet. He may be our best option (AGAIN)!

And in that two quarters of evidence, he threw a pick! Now I think it was because he didn't know the play or something, which might actually be worse.
                    barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

So y'all are good with 17 TD and 1 INT? With defenses camping at the line of scrimmage hoping hurts has to throw? That's not a may happen, it will happen. Hurts is an athlete playing QB. Against better defenses he will struggle every time.

Hell, I want tua because just the threat/reputation of his arm will back the defense up and we can run the damn ball.

Comment

But, what's going on at spring camp right now? (Note: Not band camp.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          So y'all are good with 17 TD and 1 INT? With defenses camping at the line of scrimmage hoping hurts has to throw? That's not a may happen, it will happen. Hurts is an athlete playing QB. Against better defenses he will struggle every time.

Hell, I want tua because just the threat/reputation of his arm will back the defense up and we can run the damn ball.
                          I'm just playing devils advocate here. The Tua sunshine pumpers just refuse to admit he comes with significant risks, just different risks than Jalen.

The argument has been made here in this thread that his turnover issue is a thing of the past when he had a turnover in the title game.
                          barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post

I'm just playing devils advocate here. The Tua sunshine pumpers just refuse to admit he comes with significant risks, just different risks than Jalen.

The argument has been made here in this thread that his turnover issue is a thing of the past when he had a turnover in the title game.
                            I'm not sure that the expectations for Tua are realistic. In fact, I know that the expectation many fans have (i.e. instant Heisman contender) isn't realistic. I understand the risks. The guy might average a pick a game. Jalen threw 1/9th of the INTs last year that he did as a freshman, and the offense was possibly worse and less efficient.

Regardless, I can't stand to see the offense completely handcuffed by its QB anymore. I think our talent at the other positions may be masking just how badly the offense is executing with him at QB for some people.

Comment

I expect tua to throw 10 int, still don't care

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

I'm not sure that the expectations for Tua are realistic. In fact, I know that the expectation many fans have (i.e. instant Heisman contender) isn't realistic. I understand the risks. The guy might average a pick a game. Jalen threw 1/9th of the INTs last year that he did as a freshman, and the offense was possibly worse and less efficient.

Regardless, I can't stand to see the offense completely handcuffed by its QB anymore. I think our talent at the other positions may be masking just how badly the offense is executing with him at QB for some people.
                                My feelings as well... However I see a scenario where Saban finds a way to use Jalen anway

Comment

Working...
                                X