Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at the softball and baseball programs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at the softball and baseball programs...

Softball - We finished the regular season with a .500 conference record. That's the worst in our program's 21-year history. We've gone from the SEC's powerhouse to the middle of the road. It's not that we've really gotten that much worse; it's that the SEC has gotten interested in softball and Patrick Murphy has not kept any type of edge above the other programs who are investing money and serious about competing. But we certainly haven't improved either. Obviously it's harder to have a recruiting edge with more competition, but the players we get also seem to show no real improvement while in the program. We have several girls who are hitting worse as juniors and seniors than they were when the came into the program.

We were the 8th seed going into the SEC tournament (while still being ranked in the top 15 in the country), and we will play the #1 seed Florida today at 6:30 (SECN). We barely squeaked by the 9th-seeded Auburn last night.

I look for our slide to continue. The SEC isn't going away, and unless Murphy makes some moves and reinvents himself/the program, I don't see him keeping up with the Floridas of the world.

Baseball - We stand at 25-25 (6-18) with six SEC games remaining. Of course the 6-18 conference record puts us squarely in last place. Twelve teams make the conference tournament, and we're four games out of 12th place with six games to play. We ain't making it. For the second year in a row.

Last year our baseball program fell to an all-time low thanks largely to a monumentally horrific coaching hire by Bill Battle. Coach Goff tanked the program in ways that took a keenly-skilled incompetence. If he hadn't attempted to pull roster maneuvers that aren't even allowed, we might still be stuck with that troll.

The beginning of this year under Coach Bo showed some real signs of hope. We were never going to kill anyone with our bats, but the pitching and defense were solid and we were competitive in pretty much every game and winning at a relatively pleasing pace. Then mid-March hit with conference play. Competition stiffened and we won a little less. But, by gosh, we were still competitive and close in every game. Then mid-April hit and we went on a 10-game slide in conference play, including a three-game stretch with Auburn where we were outscored 44-10. In Tuscaloosa. Damn, talk about painful. Our runs allowed skyrocketed as the season progressed. I don't know if that was entirely because of improvement in competition, or the inevitable consequence of a lack of depth and tiring arms. I'd assume both, but I'll defer to someone who has been able to watch more of the games than I have.

Right now I have no idea where the program is headed. I'm hopeful...but we'll have to see if Coach Bo can really recruit in the top level of the SEC. I think he's probably a good enough coach otherwise.

Holy smokes....Alabama actually leads Florida 2-0 in the second inning of tonight's game.

Comment

For all the stuff you wrote about the baseball team, we've already won more conference games this year than we did last year. With an undermanned team, he's done better than I think most would've realistically expected. Are we the worst team in the conference? Sure, but Casey Stengel would've finished last with this team.
      barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

I'm with Barney. The fact that we're competitive is good enough for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post
          For all the stuff you wrote about the baseball team, we've already won more conference games this year than we did last year. With an undermanned team, he's done better than I think most would've realistically expected. Are we the worst team in the conference? Sure, but Casey Stengel would've finished last with this team.
          I'm going to need something a little better than a 6:5 ratio to be impressed that we've "won more games that last year." We had "won as many conference games as last year" about a month ago. That seemed like improvement. A month later, we've won one more. Now it doesn't seem so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
            Holy smokes....Alabama actually leads Florida 2-0 in the second inning of tonight's game.
            Well, Florida evened it up and then hit a 3-run homer in the 6th to win 5-2. Just looking at the two teams, Florida is a much more impressive group of athletes. They look like they actually train and hit some weights. The only girls we usually have with any pop are big 'uns with not a lot of other usefulness. (They were also just all around better looking)

Comment

That loss last night will be a back breaker

Comment

Baseball followed up the terrible loss to LSU on Friday night with one of their best games of the season. We beat LSU 6-1 with the outcome never in doubt. Game 3 is at 2:00 today.

Comparing this year to last:

26 wins vs 19
                7 SEC wins vs 5

Geoff took the hearth out of the team last year. We won 5 conference games with 3 coming in a sweep at Auburn. It was the only SEC series we won last year. I think the team wanted that series in spite of the coach. This year we have won two series (Mizzou & UK) with LSU today and Ole Miss at home next week remaining. The wins are few but the team is competitive. In SEC play we have lost seven 1 run games and four 2 run games. This year the team lacks talent but playing hard. We need players. Coach Bo has a history of being a strong recruiter. We have a good class coming in next year if MLB does not get a few of them. We also have a chance to pick up a JUCO player or two.

I think Coach Bo is a good coach. He has a difficult situation that will take the right man to get it turned around. He has to get better, SEC caliber, players and instill a winning attitude. That is easier said than done.

(First post BTW)
                Last edited by pmull; 05-13-2018, 09:02 AM.

Comment

And a worthy first post it was! Welcome to the dark side, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by pmull
                    Baseball followed up the terrible loss to LSU on Friday night with one of their best games of the season. We beat LSU 6-1 with the outcome never in doubt. Game 3 is at 2:00 today.

26 wins vs 19
                    7 SEC wins vs 5

Geoff took the hearth out of the team last year. We won 5 conference games with 3 coming in a sweep at Auburn. It was the only SEC series we won last year. I think the team wanted that series in spite of the coach. This year we have won two series (Mizzou & UK) with LSU today and Ole Miss at home next week remaining. The wins are few but the team is competitive. In SEC play we have lost seven 1 run games and four 2 run games. This year the team lacks talent but playing hard. We need players. Coach Bo has a history of being a strong recruiter. We have a good class coming in next year if MLB does not get a few of them. We also have a chance to pick up a JUCO player or two.

I think Coach Bo is a good coach. He has a difficult situation that will take the right man to get it turned around. He has to get better, SEC caliber, players and instill a winning attitude. That is easier said than done.

(First post BTW)
                    Good job, pmull!

Comment

Originally posted by pmull View Post

26 wins vs 19
                      7 SEC wins vs 5

(First post BTW)
                      Great post, and welcome. I used to try and post meaningful things here, but at least the slide to mediocrity has been exhilarating. I got my heart broke by Biff's one-legged MIL and I haven't been the same since.

Comment

Working...
                      X