Tua had a lot of thoughts of transferring last year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tua had a lot of thoughts of transferring last year

Looks like he was likely gone had they kept him on the bench (and obviously lost) the National Championship game.

Tagovailoa, who helped the Crimson Tide win an NCAA national championship in January, preached a message was all about perseverance. But while he was sharing some of the knowledge he's gained so far in his collegiate experience, the Tide's signal caller also confirmed a rumor that had been spreading – thanks to former Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin.
    After Alabama won the national title, Kiffin – now the head coach at Florida Atlantic – claimed Tagovailoa had long been considering transferring to another school. According to Tagovailoa, that may have actually been the case.
    "I called my dad and asked him if my offer to the University of Southern California was still available," Tagovailoa told the crowd of seventh and eighth graders. "I wanted to leave. I told my dad I wanted to go to a school where I thought it'd be easier for me and wouldn't challenge me so much."
    The former Crusader went on to tell the students that this particular conversation with his father took place early in his time in Tuscaloosa – and that it actually landed him in hot water with his family.
    He said his parents told him he had to push through, and he knew they were right. Still, Tagovailoa says, feelings of frustration crept in again as he accumulated more and more time on the bench for the Crimson Tide last season as their second-string QB behind Jalen Hurts.
    "Even throughout my football season, I wasn't the starter," Tagovailoa continued. "I wanted to leave the school. So I told myself if I didn't play in the last game, which was the national championship game, I would transfer out. If I gave in, I don't think I would have seen the end blessing of where I am now."
    http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-title-at-bama

He was certainly honest about it. Glad he stuck it out and things turned out like they did. Now he needs to heal up and take the job for good.

Comment

I wouldn't blame him if he had. Why sit behind a lesser player for three years?

Comment

Play the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          I wouldn't blame him if he had. Why sit behind a lesser player for three years?
          I think that's it. Lots of folks on the team and staff could see that Tua has more ability than Jalen. CNS finally yielded to that "fact" in the NC game, and not a minute too soon. But Tua had to think: If it's that obvious but the HC doesn't seem to see it, what am I doing here?

Comment

He should have! If Jalen passes in practice the way he did in games, I can only imagine the frustration building up... The Tua Spring injury may ultimately impact Jalen because CNS can now honestly say Tua hasn't won the job, but if they're both healthy and Jalen is the starter next fall I'm gonna have a god damn coronary.

Comment

Working...
            X