X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chechem View Post

So did Sampson; his downfall.

Or was it Delilah??
    I think what we should take from this is women are evil.
    barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post
      This train of thought on Tua is what scares me. We have folks anointing him as a Heisman frontrunner and all time CFB great when in reality he is probably not on that level. It's an enormous amount of pressure to put on a true sophomore with less than 1 combined game of experience.

Unfortunately unrealistic expectations often turn into negatives thrown at a player when he doesn't live up to them. Barnett was a cant miss kid then he didnt play well against USC. We put in Hurts and never thought about him again. Remember Hurts? He could do no wrong then all of a sudden he isn't good enough. It's the pattern a lot of Bama fans have of latching onto the next big thing then discarding them when there's a new next big thing.
      I just see him as different. Mentally and Physically. Elite in all ways.... The NC game proved that under the most pressure possible. And yes he made mistakes but the difference between him and EVERY OTHER Saban QB is that he has the mojo to make special shit happen... So those mistakes aren't the end of the world.

Hopefully putting a cap on the "clinch my ass hole and hope we don't mess up" offense that puts enormous pressure on D and S/T's. Why not be really good in all 3 phases? The time has come... RTR

Comment

I think what we should take from this is women are evil.
        Every. Last. One. Of. Them.

Comment

Originally posted by rueben View Post

Every. Last. One. Of. Them.
          But like Richard Pryor said, "But they've got all the p........."
          Reporter: "What's it like to Have a QB like Tua throwing to you?
          Smitty: "It's a blessin' "

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker View Post

I just see him as different. Mentally and Physically. Elite in all ways.... The NC game proved that under the most pressure possible. And yes he made mistakes but the difference between him and EVERY OTHER Saban QB is that he has the mojo to make special shit happen... So those mistakes aren't the end of the world.

Hopefully putting a cap on the "clinch my ass hole and hope we don't mess up" offense that puts enormous pressure on D and S/T's. Why not be really good in all 3 phases? The time has come... RTR
            I don't know that I agree with the statement that every other Saban QB couldn't make special things happen. Literally all of them that got any significant playing time have had special moments.

To your point about being good in all 3 phases, I concur that being better offensively (against elite teams only, we score like gangbusters against everyone that isn't an elite defense) will help us for those 2-3 games a year where we have struggled. I did some data mining on a handful of teams against Top 20 defenses over the past 5 years. I tried to include teams that have been in consideration for playoff spots plus those with high powered offenses and some SEC teams for comparisons sake.
            Team Games Against Elite PPG Against Elite Games Overall PPG Overall Games Against Non-Elite PPG Against Non-Elite Difference Elite vs Non-Elite
            Penn State 20 26.8 65 30.4 45 32.0 -5.2
            Georgia 17 26.7 67 32.9 50 35.0 -8.3
            Washington 8 27.3 67 35.4 59 36.5 -9.2
            Notre Dame 13 24.5 64 31.9 51 33.8 -9.3
            Auburn 19 26.5 67 33.6 48 36.4 -9.9
            Oklahoma 9 31.6 66 40.4 57 41.8 -10.2
            Baylor 4 32.0 64 41.8 60 42.5 -10.5
            Ohio State 16 32.8 69 41.5 53 44.1 -11.3
            Alabama 21 28.9 71 37.2 50 40.7 -11.8
            FSU 13 26.1 67 36.2 54 38.6 -12.5
            Clemson 12 26.0 70 36.5 58 38.7 -12.7
            Michigan 15 20.2 64 30.2 49 33.3 -13.1
            Wisconsin 15 20.6 68 31.7 53 34.8 -14.2
            Oregon 8 28.6 66 41.3 58 43.1 -14.5
            Michigan State 15 18.7 66 30.2 51 33.6 -14.9
            TAMU 14 23.1 65 35.0 51 38.3 -15.2
            LSU 17 16.2 63 30.3 46 35.5 -19.3
            USC 10 15.3 68 33.2 58 36.3 -21.0

This shows we are right in the middle of teams as far as how they compare against elite defenses and non-elite defenses. Most of the teams above us have had awful offenses thrown in at least 1 season of this data which is inherently going to drop their overall scoring average in those years. For reference, Penn State had consecutive years where they averaged less than 25.0 PPG.

Also, let's all laugh at how bad USC has been against good teams. That's startling to say the least.

Does this prove we don't struggle against good teams? Of course not. However, it's not like we're awful against them in terms of other good teams.

Comment

I don't know that I agree with the statement that every other Saban QB couldn't make special things happen. Literally all of them that got any significant playing time have had special moments.

To your point about being good in all 3 phases, I concur that being better offensively (against elite teams only, we score like gangbusters against everyone that isn't an elite defense) will help us for those 2-3 games a year where we have struggled. I did some data mining on a handful of teams against Top 20 defenses over the past 5 years. I tried to include teams that have been in consideration for playoff spots plus those with high powered offenses and some SEC teams for comparisons sake.
              Team Games Against Elite PPG Against Elite Games Overall PPG Overall Games Against Non-Elite PPG Against Non-Elite Difference Elite vs Non-Elite
              Penn State 20 26.8 65 30.4 45 32.0 -5.2
              Georgia 17 26.7 67 32.9 50 35.0 -8.3
              Washington 8 27.3 67 35.4 59 36.5 -9.2
              Notre Dame 13 24.5 64 31.9 51 33.8 -9.3
              Auburn 19 26.5 67 33.6 48 36.4 -9.9
              Oklahoma 9 31.6 66 40.4 57 41.8 -10.2
              Baylor 4 32.0 64 41.8 60 42.5 -10.5
              Ohio State 16 32.8 69 41.5 53 44.1 -11.3
              Alabama 21 28.9 71 37.2 50 40.7 -11.8
              FSU 13 26.1 67 36.2 54 38.6 -12.5
              Clemson 12 26.0 70 36.5 58 38.7 -12.7
              Michigan 15 20.2 64 30.2 49 33.3 -13.1
              Wisconsin 15 20.6 68 31.7 53 34.8 -14.2
              Oregon 8 28.6 66 41.3 58 43.1 -14.5
              Michigan State 15 18.7 66 30.2 51 33.6 -14.9
              TAMU 14 23.1 65 35.0 51 38.3 -15.2
              LSU 17 16.2 63 30.3 46 35.5 -19.3
              USC 10 15.3 68 33.2 58 36.3 -21.0
              This shows we are right in the middle of teams as far as how they compare against elite defenses and non-elite defenses. Most of the teams above us have had awful offenses thrown in at least 1 season of this data which is inherently going to drop their overall scoring average in those years. For reference, Penn State had consecutive years where they averaged less than 25.0 PPG.

Also, let's all laugh at how bad USC has been against good teams. That's startling to say the least.

Does this prove we don't struggle against good teams? Of course not. However, it's not like we're awful against them in terms of other good teams.
              First off - That is bad ass! Thanks for putting those numbers together... Super intriguing.

The bigger idea to me is that, how do we compare to those teams in terms of talent? IMO being the middle of the pack in ANYTHING is underachieving if you consider we are the most talented team in the country (at minimum can argue top 3).

I would say AJ is the 1 player that could do special things with his arm... He made some huge throws in big moments. Coker did in the NC game against Clemson, but we all know he wasn't a special QB in any way.

The last 2 years specifically watching us try to sustain any momentum in the 5-6 big games (playoffs/auburn) was painful. We dominated Clemson this year because I believe the D outscored them. Had 0 to do with the offensive production other than they didn't have to turn it over. Washington last year was much of the same.

I just see a completely different level of competence at QB impacting the entire team in a positive way. Being able to rush the passer with legitimate early leads will change that side of the ball... And hopefully help that young secondary. Sustaining drives and not having the world on a kickers shoulder should make his job easier. Not depeing on JK to bail us out of consistent 3 & outs in our own territory will help the new punter. Imagine what a downfield threat is going to do for our running game? That's the best part IMO

Great info! Thanks again for posting!

Comment

-- Sophomore running back Najee Harris wasn't present during the viewing period. Word is that Harris suffered an injury during the Crimson Tide's scrimmage on Saturday, though we're not sure yet of the specifics of the injury. Coach Nick Saban didn't mention Harris while discussing injuries after the scrimmage, which could mean that the injury isn't serious. At latest, we'll have an update on Thursday when Saban has his next press conference.

-- Harris wasn't the only running back not participating in drills. Neither was Brian Robinson, at least for part of the media viewing period. While he was in uniform and on the practice field, Robinson stood off to the side as the other running backs went through drills during the part of running back drills I watched.

-- Backup outside linebacker Jamey Mosley, who is working back from a separated shoulder, wasn't present during the media viewing period. Neither was reserve safety Daniel Wright, who is dealing with a more serious shoulder issue that has his status for this season in question.

More here:
                https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...rt_one_rb.html

Comment

Thanks for the update so I don’t have to click fauAL.com
                  "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                  Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                  Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                  Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker View Post
                    The bigger idea to me is that, how do we compare to those teams in terms of talent? IMO being the middle of the pack in ANYTHING is underachieving if you consider we are the most talented team in the country (at minimum can argue top 3).
                    This is a valid point, although I would say that the teams that are even remotely comparable to us in talent would be Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, and maybe the Barn. We are right in line with those teams as well. If you assume we're the most talented so we should be the best in most categories, that's a fair statement. If you assume the talent gap isn't just massive between us and those other 3-4 teams, it makes sense that we'd be bunched together.

Also remember that in the 5 year window, Penn State had two awful offensive years, Georgia had Kirby's first year which was a trainwreck offensively, Washington had the last years of Sark and first couple of seasons of below average Petersen, Notre Dame went 3-9 one year, and then the inconsistency of Auburn in there. If you take those out, we're in 4th behind the offensive juggernaut of Oklahoma (which plays awful defense), Baylor who has played 4 games against good defenses (1 of which was the 61-59 game against TCU), and then Ohio State. Should we be better than Ohio State? Maybe. From a talent perspective, I don't think the gap is as wide as we Bama fans wants to believe. Plus Ohio State had there title winning year where they decided to put up 40+ on everyone including that 59-0 ass kicking of Wisconsin.

Comment

I was thinking about the whole QB situation yesterday. Clearly while not the most important position battle it is probably the most intriguing. I would love to hear Mac Jones thoughts on all of it. He is a QB and in the same room with the guys; it makes me wonder what does he see? How does he feel the situation should go? He has probably one of the most unbiased as well as educated positions on the matter. I know it would never happen, but I think it would be really cool to get his take. I have also read on another forum ( I think the Rant) that a former player was at the scrimmage and believes that QB2 is actually a competition, not sure I buy it, but it makes for excitement building in to the season any ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckirk4bama View Post
                        I was thinking about the whole QB situation yesterday. Clearly while not the most important position battle it is probably the most intriguing. I would love to hear Mac Jones thoughts on all of it. He is a QB and in the same room with the guys; it makes me wonder what does he see? How does he feel the situation should go? He has probably one of the most unbiased as well as educated positions on the matter. I know it would never happen, but I think it would be really cool to get his take. I have also read on another forum ( I think the Rant) that a former player was at the scrimmage and believes that QB2 is actually a competition, not sure I buy it, but it makes for excitement building in to the season any ways.
                        That was a Will Lowery statement. As much as everyone has been impressed by Mac, there's no way Saban is not having Hurts at least as the number 2 QB on the depth chart. Even if Jalen's plan is to transfer in December after graduating, putting him 3rd on the depth chart would be antagonizing the man for absolutely no reason. I would like to think we're classier than that. There are most likely going to be packages for Hurts anyway. If that's the case, he should get more PT than Jones, so we should list him as the backup in that scenario just to not drive a wedge further in that relationship.

Comment

• Ckirk4bama
                          Ckirk4bama commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would think he would want to try and red shirt to have two more years if I understand the rule correctly. Even still given he doesn't win the job, which at this point is where all roads are leading, does he even want to play? I mean he said in his interview he built a brand for "himself" and he has to do whats best fir "himself" and "his family". That said, I'm not sure if actual playing time fits his narrative if he doesn't win the job. At this point its pure speculation, but he seems to be more of a "me guy" than we thought.

Originally posted by Ckirk4bama View Post
                        Absent Tua getting hurt, I still think it's likely that Hurts' playing time ends this season while he can still redshirt - if that's allowed under the new guidelines. I haven't read the actual reg yet.

Comment

Originally posted by It Takes Eleven View Post

Absent Tua getting hurt, I still think it's likely that Hurts' playing time ends this season while he can still redshirt - if that's allowed under the new guidelines. I haven't read the actual reg yet.
                          I think it's got to do with number of games, which I think is 4. I am of the opinion he will have some package for every game.

Comment

This is a valid point, although I would say that the teams that are even remotely comparable to us in talent would be Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, and maybe the Barn. We are right in line with those teams as well. If you assume we're the most talented so we should be the best in most categories, that's a fair statement. If you assume the talent gap isn't just massive between us and those other 3-4 teams, it makes sense that we'd be bunched together.

Also remember that in the 5 year window, Penn State had two awful offensive years, Georgia had Kirby's first year which was a trainwreck offensively, Washington had the last years of Sark and first couple of seasons of below average Petersen, Notre Dame went 3-9 one year, and then the inconsistency of Auburn in there. If you take those out, we're in 4th behind the offensive juggernaut of Oklahoma (which plays awful defense), Baylor who has played 4 games against good defenses (1 of which was the 61-59 game against TCU), and then Ohio State. Should we be better than Ohio State? Maybe. From a talent perspective, I don't think the gap is as wide as we Bama fans wants to believe. Plus Ohio State had there title winning year where they decided to put up 40+ on everyone including that 59-0 ass kicking of Wisconsin.
                            I would like to see a stat line comparing 3rd down percentage. The problem I always had with Hurts was his string of 3 and outs followed by ZOMG Hurts run good.

Edit: Don't look up the barn's last year, no need for tears this close to the start of a new season.
                            Edit 2: I looked. I had forgotten how poorly we played. I'm sad
                            Last edited by Stan; 08-14-2018, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

I would like to see a stat line comparing 3rd down percentage. The problem I always had with Hurts was his string of 3 and outs followed by ZOMG Hurts run good.

Edit: Don't look up the barn's last year, no need for tears this close to the start of a new season.
                              Edit 2: I looked. I had forgotten how poorly we played. I'm sad
                              I think your wife's constant wanting of more is starting to influence your discussions. I give you data and then you want more data. Now you're sad because you couldn't just settle for what you already had.

Comment

Working...
                              X