Post Mortem BAMA v. Louisville

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Mortem BAMA v. Louisville

Well, the QB battle Round 1 is complete. The team looks dynamic with Tua and enemic and one dimensional with the other. But don’t ask Coach Saban about that issue.

Pretty good showing for a first game, although it was sloppy at times and plagued by penalties. Cleaning those errors up is going to be important going forward.

Offense - Wow, what a passer. Shades of the championship game with Tua looking off the safety before hitting on a pass down the left sideline into the end zone and also his circular path in the backfield running from defenders before firing a strike into the end zone. Hurts still looks to be a one read and run option. Credit to him for airing it out at times. His passes tended to be late in delivery, and I’m not sure that back shoulder pass was intended to be one. Mac didn’t get much of a look, but he missed on one to the tight end that would’ve scored. Overall, a pretty good opener with 500+ in offense and 50+ on the scoreboard. The RBs are awesome. I love every single one of them. O line gave me some concerns at the outset but seemed to settle down as the game progressed.

Defense - Hard to argue with such a dominant performance against the run. That young secondary got caught out of position on a couple of plays. but, damn there are some play makers back there. Thompson is going to be awesome this year. Hopefully the injuries aren’t too searious. Several stupid penalties that prolonged drives. One of those extra plays resulted in two players hurt. We can’t afford a repeat with the injury bug this year.

Special teams - Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Kickoff returned for a TD. Punt returned for a TD (called back for a penalty). A missed PAT. A frigging missed PAT. And a couple of the made PATs were very close to msissing. Add a missed FG and a made FG. And a shanked punt. Gonna be a lot of laps run this coming week by the kickers.

What did you see?
    "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
    Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
    Nick Saban 06/13/2018

The story is Tua. This kid has phenom like talent. This should be one of those few years when the backup isn't a popular dude on campus. The backup could be about any QB in college football and it wouldn't matter, so it's not about Jalen.

Now think about this - For the past 8 months we've all given credit to Jalen for how he's "handled" his situation. But once again, the real story is how Tua has handled it. There's no doubt he knew what he was capable of last season and just went to work, prepared for his moment, and excelled under the most pressure possible. Coming into this season there is no doubt who the better option is, yet he's won that competition (now handily) and never said a peep about what this team is capable of with him at QB compared to his competition. The kid is extremely mature and high character... Again, he's the story.

And lastly - There is no argument about Jalen not being treated fairly. If there's any argument it's that Tua has been treated unfairly in regards to what the competition has been at that position. Saban has now gone above and beyond to shield Hurts from criticism (with the 1 comment as SECDays being an exception) and has given him more than a fair chance to earn snaps at QB. It's now time to move on from all that.

We're watching a generational type talent with extremely talented players around him now being able to showcase their play making ability. Yes it will come with some loose plays and a few TO's, but this is a special group. Saban has now taken another step in terms of dominating college fotoball - having an elite offense... Which is just scary. RMFT! Enjoy it.

Comment

Good:

-Well, Tua. He was phenominal in pretty much every facet. Yes there will be some issues in the way he extends plays and probably some TO's, but it's well worth it. His arm talent is undeniable and the legs are plenty good.

-Jacobs & Waddle. They give us some explosiveness in the return game we haven't seen in quite a while. When you consider both are basically backups it's mind blowing. If Jacobs stays healthy he's going to make a huge impact.

-D. Thompson & Mack Wilson. DT was absolutely everywhere. He looks like the difference maker we need in the secondary. Mack played a great game too, hope he's not any more than dinged up

-OL after the 1st quarter. Slow start but they did a nice job afterwards. Ville' really blitzed a ton early it kinda caught us off guard. With some help from Tua they settled in and we got the run game going nicely.

-Q Williams. Was the only DL that stood out in terms of being in the backfield. He's just quicker than any other interrior DL we've had and I love it... The game has changed and he's what we need inside, not a chubby bruiser. Was a little surprised we didn't see more LaBryan Ray but maybe I just didn't notice him in.

Bad:

-Lost assignments in the crossing routes. Particularly that left side which happened 3-4 times. I'll be happy if we never have to see Jennings in any type of pass coverage again... Either he's not fully healthy or just doesn't have the speed to do so. Seemed like all the LB's besides Mack played a little slower tonight... I'm sure they'll improve.

-Offense with Hurts. Just have no rhythm. It is what it is

-Penalties. Some were bad calls though... Obviously have to clear a few up but this should be a wake up call.

Ugly:

-2nd unit on that last scoring drive. Noticed both Benton and Wright kind of lagging... Those are guys we will probably need at some point.

-Kicking.. Fuuuuuuuuuck. Here we go again

Great game though!! RTR

Comment

Forgot to mention that several plays had our d lineman in the backfield with the QB in our grasp only to have him wiggle loose. They have to finish those plays in the backfield.
        "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
        Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
        Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
        Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

This O is electric. It should easily be the most entertaining Bama offense in my lifetime. For the good of the team, at a point SOON, the coddling of Jalen's feelings has to end. It's obvious that this has not been a serious competition...the difference is staggering and unmistakable.

This D is likely going to give up more long plays than we are comfortable with, but also there are dynamic playmakers who should force more turnovers and big negative plays than some of our more stifling Ds.

Special teams are not special, other than Waddle. Teams will have to start game planning around him immediately. Besides his phenomenal return ability, he looked confident, smooth, and sure-handed while fielding punts even in traffic. A very valuable resource!

Comment

Oh and - can't we come up with another effin' holder other than Tua?!

Comment

Thank God Tua is what we'd hoped; Jalen doesn't seem improved at all (sigh).

I really expected the DL to be better, even though they did well against the run. The OL improved as the game progressed; couldn't pass block at all during the first half.

Tua needs to slide down. If he gets hurt we're screwed.

Good first game, and plenty to work on.

Comment

After all I’ve said about how much better tua is than Jalen, I felt terrible and embarrassed for him in the 1st quarter. Tua leads 3 td drives, throwing damn lasers, then you come in and lead us to two punts. Smh, I bet he felt like he forgot to wear pants, how embarrassing.

I will I’ll have to rewatch sober, but did Louisville stack the box in the beginning? I was watching tua the entire time. If the game plan is to crowd the line and make us throw, better change it, those days are over.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
                  After all I’ve said about how much better tua is than Jalen, I felt terrible and embarrassed for him in the 1st quarter. Tua leads 3 td drives, throwing damn lasers, then you come in and lead us to two punts. Smh, I bet he felt like he forgot to wear pants, how embarrassing.

I will I’ll have to rewatch sober, but did Louisville stack the box in the beginning? I was watching tua the entire time. If the game plan is to crowd the line and make us throw, better change it, those days are over.
                  The difference in play calling - option run (not RPO) on 3rd and 10 and 3rd and 6 tells you all you need to know. No faith in your QB, regardless of what is said to the press.

Comment

I know Saban said there were no significant injuries last night but after D Smith left the game, I don't think he returned. Anybody know his status?

Comment

Saban is going to get an ass chewing from Ms. Terry about how he treated Maria.
                      Last edited by Hannibal Lecter MD; 09-02-2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                        Saban is going to get an was chewing from Ms. Terry about how he treated Maria.
                        Maria is a big gal. I think she coulda taken him.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                          Saban is going to get an ass chewing from Ms. Terry about how he treated Maria.
                          It's his own fault too... The longer he continues this charade of a "competition" the more the media SHOULD ask him. At some point while you're trying to keep Jalen's feelings up, he has to recognize this isn't fair to Tua. He deserves to have a commanding role and be looked at as "the guy". Again - This shouldn't be about Jalen, but the way it's being handled it has been. After yesterday it's clear that is no longer fair.

Comment

Even Joey Galloway has us as #1. Tua Fever is rampant.

Comment

Give Tua the Heisman now.

Comment

Working...
                              X