Your opinion of Saban blasting Maria Taylor during interview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your opinion of Saban blasting Maria Taylor during interview

The question wasn't even about who is getting the starting job. It was a legit question as to how he thought they performed. I'll be honest with you, I'm very disappointed in Saban's lack of class with that vitriol response . It was totally uncalled for.

Yeah, I get he's irritated at all the questions directed at the QB situation, but when you are the premier coach of the premier college football program in the country, you're gonna get asked those questions. You'd think he'd be used to it by now. I think what Finebaum said about Saban was dead on. It WAS totally classless.

And to Maria's credit, she handled it better than I would have. Kudos to her.

Like I said - if Saban continues to prolong any notion of a "competition" he can and should expect those questions. He's a big boy that's making what, 12 mill a year? Plenty smart enough to see what this narrative is going to bring from the media. So either deal with it and rip the band aid off or expect those questions and handle it better. JMO

Comment

I went back and watched the comment again just to make sure I get this right. I’ll paraphrase, but she stated that coming into the game, everybody wanted to know who was going to be the starting quarterback. Then she followed that up with, after watching their performances tonight what kind of answers do you have? She used a buttload of words to basically ask, “OK, do you know who the starter is now?”

Look, I wish he’d have handled it a little better but he’s always hot coming off a big win that turns sloppy at the end. And she jumped right on a sore nerve with her first question. She knew the bear she was poking, which is likely why she did handle it so well. She was already prepared for it.

Comment

DGAF- Roll Tide!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamaholic View Post
          DGAF- Roll Tide!
          Thank you, Holic, for your in-depth contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Balls View Post
            I went back and watched the comment again just to make sure I get this right. I’ll paraphrase, but she stated that coming into the game, everybody wanted to know who was going to be the starting quarterback. Then she followed that up with, after watching their performances tonight what kind of answers do you have? She used a buttload of words to basically ask, “OK, do you know who the starter is now?”

Look, I wish he’d have handled it a little better but he’s always hot coming off a big win that turns sloppy at the end. And she jumped right on a sore nerve with her first question. She knew the bear she was poking, which is likely why she did handle it so well. She was already prepared for it.
            For someone who continually says that he appreciates the media because of all the exposure it brings to the Bama football program, that's NOT the kind of exposure that helps the Bama football program.

Comment

Look, Coach Saban lost his cool in a post-game, on-field interview on a topic that he's repeatedly said he wasn't going to answer for 7+ months now. Did he handle it the way he, you or I would want it to be handled, in retrospect? Probably not. But, I get his frustration. I bet the paint on the walls of the locker room peeled last night with all the mental and physical mistakes he saw (most of which we didn't). Add to that the pressure he's probably feeling from the Hurts camp staring at a situation where a kid he really likes is not going to win the QB competition. He's part pissed off, and part defending a player about his play, not his stupidity in behavior, his criminal activities, etc.

However, let's not lose sight of the situation. It was a question about starting quarterback play essentially in the heat of the moment, not a question about your assistant beating up his wife at an event specifically designed for media questions, or a question about your assistant raping some kids, or a question about one of your players dying as a result of practice.
              "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
              Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
              Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
              Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post
                Look, Coach Saban lost his cool in a post-game, on-field interview on a topic that he's repeatedly said he wasn't going to answer for 7+ months now. Did he handle it the way he, you or I would want it to be handled, in retrospect? Probably not. But, I get his frustration. I bet the paint on the walls of the locker room peeled last night with all the mental and physical mistakes he saw (most of which we didn't). Add to that the pressure he's probably feeling from the Hurts camp staring at a situation where a kid he really likes is not going to win the QB competition. He's part pissed off, and part defending a player about his play, not his stupidity in behavior, his criminal activities, etc.

However, let's not lose sight of the situation. It was a question about starting quarterback play essentially in the heat of the moment, not a question about your assistant beating up his wife at an event specifically designed for media questions, or a question about your assistant raping some kids, or a question about one of your players dying as a result of practice.
                Well, if you put it like that..........

Comment

It's all good, Tater. I expect Coach Saban to have some type of apology or mea culpa, maybe it involves her or maybe it doesn't. He'll find a way to spin this into a marketing/recruiting opportunity, and it will all be good.

RMFT
                  "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                  Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                  Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                  Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

I thought it looked a lot worse since Saban was being interviewed by a lady.

He should have been a little better prepared for the question. He had to know that it would come up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

My opinion is that Saban had basically planned that response to, in his mind, prove a point. He didn't come close to answering the question that was asked. The question was about performance, which he clearly has no problem criticizing to a reporter. He cant claim he won't criticize Hurts in an interview since hes done it before. I assume the point was clearly Tua is the starter given he played twice as much as Hurts so think for yourself and quit asking me. It almost felt like a lawyer trying to have it in his back pocket that he never claimed Hurts was a backup.

It wasnt a good look, but I think ESPN is giving it a bit more attention than what it really deserves. The lack of true upsets and overall entertaining games means they had to fill some air space with something.
                      barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post
                        It's all good, Tater. I expect Coach Saban to have some type of apology or mea culpa, maybe it involves her or maybe it doesn't. He'll find a way to spin this into a marketing/recruiting opportunity, and it will all be good.

RMFT
                        No doubt in my mind that this will be the case. But it was a bad look attacking Maria. She is a very popular reporter, in the eyes of the public, and other reporters. It would indeed bode well for him to offer some kind of apology.

Comment

Originally posted by Tidestalker
                          Like I said - if Saban continues to prolong any notion of a "competition" he can and should expect those questions. He's a big boy that's making what, 12 mill a year? Plenty smart enough to see what this narrative is going to bring from the media. So either deal with it and rip the band aid off or expect those questions and handle it better. JMO
                          No kidding. The coaches have known a healthy Tua would start since the spring, or at the very least for the last 3 or 4 weeks. If he wants to continue the line of bullshit in the press, he has no right to get angry about the questions.

Comment

When I heard it live, I didn't believe he meant "you" as in Maria personally. I think the "you" meant the media in general.
                            I didn't take it as an attack on Maria.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t believe it was directed at Maria Taylor specifically, but at the media in general. He was mad, it was heat of the moment, and he’s tired of talking about QBs.

Comment

Working...
                              X