Post Mortem - Arky

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Mortem - Arky

Thanks to the WatchESPN app, I missed most of the game due to lag followed by commercials. So, this week again is going to rely on your impressions. I did see Tua and Jalen on the field together for the first time this year. Judging from the play calls during those sets, my guess is they are designed to steal carries from Damien Harris. Too many times we put the ball on the ground, but you’ve gotten love the hustle that turns errors into points. Helluva lucky play. Speaking of turnovers, we were a couple of favorable turnovers from Arky breaking 40 on us. That doesn’t bode well for the defensive performance. I recall Coach Saban mentioning that there is no defensive set we run where a receiver is left wide-ass-open running down the field. If that’s accurate, and I have every reason to think it is, then we’ve got some work to do heading into the meat of the season.

We are 1/2 way through the regular season and our starting QB hasn’t taken a snap in the 4th quarter. His numbers look fantastic, but can you really expect all the future teams to allow a 15 yd slant pattern to result in a 65 yd TD?

To the rest of the college football world: we could be a helluva lot better team. Lots of areas to improve on.
    "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
    Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
    Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Our defense was shite today, so much so that it completely overshadows our solid offense today in my mind.
    barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

D played poorly today. Tons of missed assignments. A good part of the blame has to go on the D coaches. Kirby was always a good game day coach. Tosh has not shown himself to be that yet.

OL is a weak link. Pretty good on pass blocking but weak performance on run blocking on too many plays.

D has to get better. OL probably is what it is going to be.

Comment

D was a train wreck yesterday. It was almost like they thought all they had to do was show up and Arky would shit their pants. Didn't happen. The Arky QB is good. So was their offensive game plan. Guess who is going to be watching film of that game? Everybody else that's left on our schedule.

Time to tighten it up on D.

Comment

Originally posted by McBaman View Post
          D played poorly today. Tons of missed assignments. A good part of the blame has to go on the D coaches. Kirby was always a good game day coach. Tosh has not shown himself to be that yet.

OL is a weak link. Pretty good on pass blocking but weak performance on run blocking on too many plays.

D has to get better. OL probably is what it is going to be.
          Arky playing well was a godsend. We need work, and Arky gave us a long list of plays. Young defense with a few experienced guys sprinkled in. Hopefully we'll keep improving (and avoiding injuries).

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post
            Guess who is going to be watching film of that game? Everybody else that's left on our schedule.
            Along with the Alabama defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Trob View Post

Along with the Alabama defense.
              Ha! True.

Comment

Last time I'm saying it - Tosh is in over his head. Hopefully CNS can teach him because he is a great recruiter and a positive influence on the kids.

Comment

I think it's more that we are trying to cover up for certain weaknesses. But every scheme has a counterpunch that can hurt it. IMO he's calling the games exactly like Prueitt did last year, and I didn't think he was nearly as good as Kirby.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                    I think it's more that we are trying to cover up for certain weaknesses. But every scheme has a counterpunch that can hurt it. IMO he's calling the games exactly like Prueitt did last year, and I didn't think he was nearly as good as Kirby.
                    I agree with the calling like Pruitt. Both Tosh and Pruitt are heavily blitz reliant, which exposes some weaknesses in the secondary. With our young secondary and relatively inexperienced linebacking corps, it has allowed teams to exploit their deficiencies. Last year our secondary was experienced enough to take care of the situation. This year not so much. The weakness of the defense is being exposed because we keep allowing it to happen.
                    barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

I think we are concerned that we can't generate a push and pressure without the blitzing. And our LBs are not great in coverage anyway so even if they were held back we are vulnerable to a lot of the same plays.

Comment

We've been susceptible to the misdirection throwbacks, delayed screens and wheel routes for a while now. It's become a standard play against us, with some success. Washington had some luck with it early, along with a number of other teams. It's a prescription for a team that rapidly pursues, just like you work the edges against a strong D line or run directly at speed.

Comment

I agree that Tosh is on a huge learning curve. Didn't really like the idea of having a first time DC under this much pressure... Had Lewis & Allen stayed healthy maybe life would be easier, but this group will need great coaching in December.

Too many times multiple guys are covering 1 dude. Love Mosley's athleticism but not sure he is in the right place enough. We are a Mack or Dionte injury away from a tough battle on D.

Comment

• Trob
                            Trob commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And Mack has not been playing well. Probably the injury, I don't know.

Originally posted by Tidestalker View Post
                          I agree that Tosh is on a huge learning curve. Didn't really like the idea of having a first time DC under this much pressure... Had Lewis & Allen stayed healthy maybe life would be easier, but this group will need great coaching in December.

Too many times multiple guys are covering 1 dude. Love Mosley's athleticism but not sure he is in the right place enough. We are a Mack or Dionte injury away from a tough battle on D.
                          Exactly. Counting our blessings that we've had pretty good injury luck until now. Could be worse for sure.
                          Just hoping Diggs gets back very soon.

Comment

I don't blame Tosh at all. Young secondary (injuries piling up), pretty good pass rush (again, more injuries), young LBers, and Mack supposedly slightly injured. It was never going to be great.

Comment

Working...
                            X