Post Mortem - Championship Failings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Mortem - Championship Failings

Well, it was difficult but I watched until the bitter end. Seemed like one team was primed and ready while the other was going through the motions. But that assessment undervalues a couple of receivers and one certain d tackle that left it all on the field.

There was a ton of money won in gambling, but there was a ton of money won and lost on the field too. Q made money at the next level tonight while Buggs, our linebackers, and our dbacks lost money. And our Oline lost money too. Jacobs made money tonight. It troubles me to think that NHarris will be the feature back next year. Special teams, really our kicker, may have lost tuition and books money.

our D coordinator probably lost money. If our O coordinator hadn’t already taken a job elsewhere, I’d say he lost money too.

no way to sugar coat the ugly, total game whipping we got tonight. But nothing motivates Coach Saban like a bad loss. God rest the souls of those who face him next year.
    "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
    Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
    Nick Saban 06/13/2018

More like a humiliating loss.

Comment

What was the final score?

Comment

How many points given up and how many scored since the first quarter of the Orange Bowl? Coming in to the season we knew the defense was a weak spot but then they played pretty well up until the last 3 games. Hard to figure.

Also hard to figure scoring only 16 and leaving so many points on the field. Play calling was not good. We get burned by these assistants who have their attention elsewhere. Anyway to forbid them by contract from accepting another job while the season is in progress

Comment

Football, or sports in general, can be funny, fellas. Two pretty even teams. Momentum and the ball bounces can make it look bad always. You've never played many sports if you've never lost a game that you may should gave won. Chin up. Alabama has still had the greatest run in college football over a 10 year period.

Good for Dabo. If we have to share these years with anyone, why not an amazing success story that cut all his teeth at Bama.

Roll, MF Tide, Gentlemen. No crying.

Comment

Good: Young dudes getting some valuable experience. I believe Surtain will come back a stud next year. Jobe even got his feet wet tonight and honestly his WR made some incredible catches. But to be thrown out there for the first time in his career, it will be valuable and useful moving forward. JAD and he will battle it out for the 2nd corner, hopefully, whether S. Smith is healthy or not. Also McKinney & Moses playing all year should make them solid next season. Looking for anything positive out of that D tonight. Looked like Enoma played quite a bit in the second half too which is good for the future. N. Harris had a nice night with his opportunities... And should be an overall upgrade from D. Harris in terms of big play ability. He was a better back to finish the season IMO.

Bad: Entire defense not named Q Williams or A. Jennings. Seriously, did anyone else make a single play? Davis was a no show. Bugs not only didn't make plays he didn't even set the edge. And unfortunately we refused to rotate any DL's so no experience to be had up front tonight. D. Thompson was a shell of himself and neither LB Wilson or Moses had a positive impact. Frankly they got exposed, which may be a good thing for UA to bring Wilson back another year. The accumulation of Lewis and Miller injuries was devastating to that defense... There wasn't a freshman Rashaan Evans from back in 2015 (?) to bring in and make plays... Outside of QW there was no chance of getting QB pressure which absolutely destroyed us. At this level you'll need more than just guys that can "do their jobs"... You need dudes that can wreck the fucking house. Davis, Lewis, Miller were supposed to be those types of players. 2 got injured and 1 got lost. Damn

Ugly: Play calling. Both sides. And special teams. First off - That fake FG was downright embarrassing. Only down 15 with a 4th and 5 (ish, can't remember), you have a QB who's 42/6 TD/INT ratio and we'd rather ask our backup QB to run behind our kicker for the first down... against an alerted defense.... Wow. Can't ever remember seeing Saban crack like that, but that was pitiful. Defensively Tosh had nothing for them... Didn't trick Lawrence 1 time with coverage and certainly didn't dial up any effective blitzes. No sacks is hard to do with the talent accumulated on that side of the ball. Have to take into account the injury issues at OLB but still... his late blitzes were either ill timed or non existent. He got abused tonight and the lack of discipline showed. The O side of the ball was slightly better, but the red zone was a huge disappointment. Could have ground and pounded them into at least 2 more TD's but either used the wrong personnel or got too cute. Can't believe Jacobs wasn't used exlusively on the goal line and not that wildcat shit... As a legitimate RB. D. Harris had become our third best back over the last 4 games but got the big carries at the goal line. Head scratching all night.

All in all very frustrating but a lot of motivation moving forward. Lots of talent to replace, but tons coming back at the skill positions. Enos will bring some slight changes I'm sure which COULD be a good thing (Locks was much better the rest of the year), but Tosh will need to learn and improve dramatically before this time next year. JMO

Comment

Yes, disappointing. Since I'm already at work, i'm assuming the sun will rise today. Buggs took plays off the entire game, not just near the end. Inexplicable. Deionte's inexperience showed, having just one full season at safety. If he were to come back, he could have an Eddie Jackson/Ha Ha/Collins type year as a ball hawk. I hope he really considers the NFL evaluations, I don't think he's ready.

Although it's easy to see it as playcalling and execution, but Venables did an outstanding job of identifying what Tua keyed on, and then making that read incorrect.

The result of the fake FG was embarrassing, but 79 quit on the play to let one player through who was essentially triple-teamed. The play would've gained several more yards and been close to a first down if he'd shown a modicum of effort.

Comment

Very embarrassing loss, to say the least. Everything posted above is dead on. Add on top of that, the 2 PI no-calls that killed our confidence and momentum, and we had the perfect recipe for the disaster we witnessed. EVERY. SINGLE. THING. went Clemson's way. You have to give them credit, they took it to us.

Now, we have to put that behind us and focus on next year. We have one of the best recruiting classes ever, coming in, along with a lot of returning talent. There is much to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                  Football, or sports in general, can be funny, fellas. Two pretty even teams. Momentum and the ball bounces can make it look bad always. You've never played many sports if you've never lost a game that you may should gave won. Chin up. Alabama has still had the greatest run in college football over a 10 year period.

Good for Dabo. If we have to share these years with anyone, why not an amazing success story that cut all his teeth at Bama.

Tip of the hat to Dabo, 'cause he definitely earned this one.

Anyone else think of this with all Dabo's "little 'ol me" in post-game?

Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                  Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                  Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Completely forgot to mention that DThompson didn't do any favors for his financial future last night, either.............
                    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

This is a very valid point. We got run off the field last night by the final score (and let's be honest, the last 3 quarters), but we were 3 mental errors away from being up 21-0 (well 20-0 because of the missed XP) at the end of the first quarter. Tua didn't see the corner and threw the pick six, Deonte sunk on the 3rd and long and gave up the go, and then the Wills false start. I'm not making excuses because mistakes happen, but if it's 21-0 through 1 quarter that is most likely a different ball game last night. Instead of being up 21-0, we were down 14-13. The mental side of the game is completely changed in that scenario.
                      barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Not taking anything away from Clemson who earned every accolade they get this year. But it plays right into Coach Saban's repeated lectures to every player, every year: "it's not about what they do, it is about what we do".
                        Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...o-clemson.html

Q. I noticed when you were leaving the field you were looking over your notes. I wondered what you were seeing there, what you were thinking and also, like we asked the players, this team I think did show great resiliency all through the season so what is your takeaway from this team and maybe what you want to focus on moving forward with them?

NICK SABAN: Well, I sort of made the same opening comments that I made to our team. I told them how proud I was of what they were able to accomplish. I know how disappointed we all are and they are and the way we didn’t finish and the way we performed in this particular game. But they accomplished a lot, and we’re really proud of them. Winning the SEC, winning the Orange Bowl and winning 14 games, I mean, our seniors have done a phenomenal job. I think they’ve won like 54 games in their career or whatever. So one game doesn’t define who you are. But I also told the players that sometimes we learn more when things don’t go well, when we lose. You have to learn how to lose as well as how you win. And there’s a lot of lessons for us to learn from the experience that we had in this game, whether you’re a senior who’s leaving or whether you’re a player who’s coming back and you see that we have work to do.

Q. You’ve said in the past that you tend to remember the losses much more than the wins. Outside of the scoreboard, what do you think you’ll remember most about tonight?

NICK SABAN: I just have a feeling that I didn’t do a very good job for our team, with our team, giving them the best opportunity to be successful. I always feel that way, even sometimes when we win, I think there’s things we could do better or that I could have done better. But particularly in this case, never really ever got comfortable with what we needed to do to win this game, especially on defense, especially the match-ups we had in our secondary versus their receivers. That was something that was kind of bothering me going into the game, and as the game unfolded, it worked out that those match-ups were a big difference in the game.
                          Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Also, Wills seems to have been infected with Cotton Untimely Miscue Syndrome (CUMS)
                            Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

https://twitter.com/LittleDebbie/sta...58604900106240

Little Debbie‏Verified account @LittleDebbie
                              FollowFollow @LittleDebbie

More
                              We baked Nick Saban's two Oatmeal Creme Pies with an extra portion of love this morning.
                              Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Working...
                              X