Baseball's Last Gasping Breath

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball's Last Gasping Breath

"Through the grapevine has come a hint that the designated hitter may become a universal reality in Major League Baseball in the not-too-distant future....."

Might as well make it straight bases, allow steroids during the home run race, replace concession stands with restaurants, outlaw peanuts in the ballpark to protect against someone's allergies, and charge $10 for domestic beer.
    Through the grapevine has come a hint that the designated hitter may become a universal reality in Major League Baseball in the not-too-distant future. Hurry up. Oh, for the love of David Ortiz , Edgar Martinez and Frank Thomas, please hurry up...
    "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
    Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
    Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Say it ain't so.

Comment

Baseball, as originally designed, is a game with 9 players in the field EACH taking their turn at bat. I hated the DH when it came into the AL and I still hate it. The idea that pitchers are too fragile to hit and run the bases is b.s. AL pitchers are spoiled!! The NL game is so much more interesting. Pitchers need to learn to hit while in the minor leagues.

I would never vote for a guy who was primarily a career DH into the Hall of Fame. Never. If you don't have defensive skills to play in the field, then you ain't good enough for the Hall.

Some of the rules changes being discussed -- such as the:20sec pitch clock and requiring relief pitchers to face a min of three batters -- are IMHO OK to make (with some refinements.) But they also need to tighten up time between innings. Games have gotten too long.
      Last edited by McBaman; 02-10-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

13-year, $330 million deal
        The Phillies are finalizing a deal to land prized free-agent Bryce Harper for 13 years and $330 million, sources told ESPN.
        Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
        Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
        Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Big pick up for the Phillies. Might make them real contenders this year.

Comment

I hate this deal for both parties. It's a lower AAV than he was offered by at least 3 teams. For the Phillies, it's not a bad deal on an AAV basis but why sign him to a 13 year deal?
            barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post
              I hate this deal for both parties. It's a lower AAV than he was offered by at least 3 teams. For the Phillies, it's not a bad deal on an AAV basis but why sign him to a 13 year deal?
              David Murphy of the Philadelphia Inquirer begs to differ.

https://www.philly.com/phillies/bryc...-20190301.html

This is not what stupid money looks like. Not for a hitter who is this good at this young of an age. That is something that is worth reinforcing before we dive too deep into the details of the 13-year, $330 million contract that Bryce Harper has agreed to sign with the Phillies. Those are big numbers, yes. Unprecedented, even. But they are not unwieldy. They are not crippling. If the next seven seasons of Harper’s career are anything close to the first seven, the Phillies will have bought themselves six consecutive chances at another World Series, and $25.4 million a year will seem like a more-than-reasonable price to pay to watch a sure-fire Hall of Famer play out the twilight of his career.

Comment

The ESPN article quotes the agent about that. Harper wanted the longest deal he could get
                Nick Saban 9/10/2016

Nick Saban 05/29/2018

Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Trout just got 12/430. Boras has got to be pissed that he held the record contract for about a week.
                  barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Trout just got 12/430. Boras has got to be pissed that he held the record contract for about a week.
                    With the players making this kind of dough, it doesn't sound like MLB is gasping for air yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X