Spring Football Talk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Football Talk

Bama had its second spring practice yesterday (they had one practice before spring break). Below are some notes from Tidesports. More at this link: https://www.tidesports.com/alabama-f...tes-3-18-2019/

• Ale Kaho was once again not seen with the rest of Alabama’s inside linebackers, or anywhere really. He wasn’t at the opening practice either, and Alabama coach Nick Saban did say after that first absence Kaho is dealing with “some issues.” So, Dylan Moses still led that position group through drills, followed by Joshua McMillon, Markail Benton, Jaylen Moody and Shane Lee.
    • As for the outside linebackers, Anfernee Jennings continued to lead that group. Terrell Lewis and Christopher Allen were behind Jennings in order, both wearing knee braces. Eyabi Anoma and Jarez Parks then followed.
    • Cameron Latu continued to work with the tight ends rather than linebackers. He started that during the first practice because, as Saban put it, Alabama has “some experience issues at tight end and also some depth issues.” Latu was fourth in the position group to go through drills, behind Miller Forristall, Major Tennison and Giles Amos. Former Alabama tight end Irv Smith Jr. was watching practice. He’ll go through Alabama’s Pro Day on Tuesday as he prepares for the 2019 NFL Draft.
    • Safety Shyheim Carter was still wearing a black, non-contact jersey.
    • Saban was spotted with the cornerbacks, who were doubled up: Trevon Diggs and Patrick Surtain II, Jalyn Armour-Davis and Nigel Knott and then Scooby Carter and Josh Jobe were the first three parings.
    • Checked out the defensive line this time, as players worked in small groups. LaBryan Ray, Raekwon Davis and Phidarian Mathis were made up the first batch, while Justin Eboigbe, Christian Barmore, Tevita Musika and Stephon Wynn Jr. were the second set.

TideSports has broken down a spring "prospectus" by position group. See them all here: https://www.tidesports.com/category/football/

Comment

Good info. Nothing very promising though.

Comment

Scrimmage notes from AL.com's Matt Zenitz:

While the scrimmage was closed to the media, here are some notes based on information gathered through sources:

— It sounds like it was a good day for Alabama’s running back group — Najee Harris, Brian Robinson and also redshirt freshman Jerome Ford. Ford had at least a couple plays that gained nice yardage, including one against the first-team defense during which he broke tackles from safety Jared Mayden and star inside linebacker Dylan Moses.

— Freshman wide receiver John Metchie was a standout. He had two touchdowns. Former five-star recruit Eyabi Anoma was one of the standout guys defensively. Word is that the sophomore outside linebacker was consistently disruptive as a pass rusher and it sounds like he was credited with a few sacks.

— Word is that backup quarterback Mac Jones looked good. The redshirt sophomore threw at least one touchdown.

— Matt Womack didn’t scrimmage, so Evan Neal — the 6-foot-7, 360-pound five-star freshman offensive lineman — worked at left guard with the first-team offense. People at Alabama believe Neal has big-time potential.

— Redshirt freshman Cameron Latu continues to work at tight end and had a few catches during the scrimmage, including a catch-and-run of about 15 yards against the Tide’s first-team defense. Walk-on tight end Giles Amos had a touchdown catch against the first-team defense while working with the first-team offense.

— Mayden was the first-team safety next to Xavier McKinney. It sounds like veteran defensive back Shyheim Carter, who is working back from offseason sports hernia surgery, worked with the first-team defense in dime and then mostly with the twos when he was at safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
          Scrimmage notes from AL.com's Matt Zenitz:
          Sounds promising.

Comment

Take aways from the 2nd scrimmage:

Sounds like DJ Dale is making an immediate impact at DT.

QBs through lots of INTs. Mac with 4. Tua with a couple. At one point, Mac was impeding the second offense so much that Tua took over his reps. The good news is that freshman DB Josh Jobe is making plays.

Wills suffered an ankle injury. He was supposed to have an MRI yesterday or today.

RBs continue to draw praise. Not sure our LB corp is up to the task of stopping them.

Comment

Take aways from the 2nd scrimmage:

Sounds like DJ Dale is making an immediate impact at DT.

QBs through lots of INTs. Mac with 4. Tua with a couple. At one point, Mac was impeding the second offense so much that Tua took over his reps. The good news is that freshman DB Josh Jobe is making plays.

Wills suffered an ankle injury. He was supposed to have an MRI yesterday or today.

RBs continue to draw praise. Not sure our LB corp is up to the task of stopping them.
              Lots of newbies in there, too.It will be a real task getting them up to speed during spring and fall camps.

Comment

I cannot express how afraid I am this year. Mac as the backup to a fragile Tua is so scary to me.

Comment

I can’t remember a year I’ve been this disinterested in football

Comment

unless it came from Boz, it ain't legit.......... Or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan
                      I can’t remember a year I’ve been this disinterested in football
                      Entitlement.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Comment

Entitlement.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
                        I’m still pouting from the last game

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

I’m still pouting from the last game
                          That Norfolk State game was rough...

Comment

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/4/...ahead-of-a-day

A few notes:
                            • Mac Jones and Taulia Tagovailoa are both on the White team. At this stage, it’s close to a dead heat between those two for the primary backup job. Paul Tyson is on the Crimson team with Tua Tagovailoa.
                            • DJ Dale is on the White team alongside Raekwon Davis and LaBryan Ray. Phidarian Mathis is on the Crimson team, which suggests that Dale has indeed emerged as the frontrunner in the middle as a true freshman.
                            • Saban mentioned in his last press conference that he wanted to put one of what he considers four starters at WR on the White team, and that turned out to be Jaylen Waddle. Seeing Waddle alongside Xavier Williams offers a glimpse of the future.
                            • Will Reichard is on the White team and listed only as a PK. Mike Bernier is listed as the White team punter despite reportedly entering the transfer portal. Joseph Bulovas and Skyler DeLong man those respective positions for the Crimson team.
                            "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
                            Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
                            Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
                            Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

I have retired from starting game threads. So one of y'all need to handle that today for the A-Day game.

Comment

Working...
                              X