Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nate Oats hired as Alabama Basketball coach

From Cecil Hurt:

BREAKING NEWS: The University of Alabama will hire Nate Oats of Buffalo as its next head basketball coach

Is that good? I've never heard of the guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bama Ravens View Post
      From Cecil Hurt:
      Thanks Michael.

Comment

This feels underwhelming to me. He's had success at Buffalo, but for all the hullabaloo around us finally investing in basketball, this hire doesn't signal that. He was set to make $800k at Buffalo, so I sure hope we didn't offer more than double that. Instead of investing in basketball, we probably just saved $1M a year or so on the coach.

On the bright side, his teams at Buffalo could score. That would certainly be refreshing.
        barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

I am uninspired and disappointed. Hope the guy is good, but suspect we will be left with cold oatmeal in a few years..
          "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
          Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
          Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
          Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

I wonder what his buyout will be in 4 years?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Y'all a buncha naysayers. Anybody ever heard of Buffalo basketball success before he got there?

Comment

I feel like Oats was a Plan B or C type candidate that got hired awful quick because we overreacted to the threat of players transferring.

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post
                  I feel like Oats was a Plan B or C type candidate that got hired awful quick because we overreacted to the threat of players transferring.
                  Watching Finebaum. Ryan McGehee is hosting. He and all the talking heads think it's a home run hire.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post

Watching Finebaum. Ryan McGehee is hosting. He and all the talking heads think it's a home run hire.
                    I wouldve preferred we at least waited to chat with the guy who spanked Oats this weekend in the tournament.

I hope the guy knocks it out of the park, but running roughshod over the MAC in basketball is the equivalent of running roughshod over the MAC in football.

Tell me if this sounds familiar: Team is frustrated after multiple seasons being around .500 or slightly better. Fire coach. Hire young up and coming MAC coach fresh off best season in school history.

Hint: Row the Boat

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson
                      I disagree. Obviously Byrne had this guy in mind before this week.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                        I disagree. Obviously Byrne had this guy in mind before this week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ef8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	69321

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson

Click image for larger version

Name:	ef8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	69321
                          Appreciate the joker meme. I am serious though. I don't believe for a minute that he did a search to announcement in 2 days. Byrne cares too much about his career, if nothing else, to be that foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post
                            Appreciate the joker meme. I am serious though. I don't believe for a minute that he did a search to announcement in 2 days. Byrne cares too much about his career, if nothing else, to be that foolish.

He says he keeps a fluid list of coaching candidates in case he needs it. So you are correct that he had him on that list. By all accounts, Oats is well respected by the media and basketball types, but he's got 4 years of college head coaching experience. Oats feels like hiring Brannen with a better press agent. If we had hired Brannen, the fan base would not be thrilled. I wonder how many Bama fans had to Google who Nate Oats was when the hire was announced.

Comment

Gotta believe that as the season wore on, Byrne knew making a change in BB coach was possible. He had a list. That's what good ADs & head coaches do. Oats was on the list. Maybe at the top of it. To me, sounds like he's pretty good at building up programs. How high he can build them remains to be seen. This is the SEC. It ain't the MAC. Oats is our coach. Gotta hope he's a winner and we field a team that can hit FTs and stop turning over the ball. It is what it is.... RTR

Comment

Working...
                            X