Nate Oats hired as Alabama Basketball coach

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post
    And it appears Pettway will survey another head coaching change.
    Bag man?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

Bag man?
      I'm starting to wonder why we don't just hire him as head coach. Everyone likes the guy, he's been here for years, and he'd be cheap.
      barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

I'm starting to wonder why we don't just hire him as head coach. Everyone likes the guy, he's been here for years, and he'd be cheap.
        Everyone says he's a good recruiter. Can he coach?

Comment

Looking at our roster numbers (currently at 12 out of 13 max including all the incomers), what would have happened had Giddens and Ingram stayed? Were we going to tell Trendon Watford that we didn't have room for him? That's almost certainly not the case, but it appears Johnson was counting on having at least one departure.

Comment

If cheap is a criterion, I'll just stop following basketball right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post

Everyone says he's a good recruiter. Can he coach?
              Judging by the player development that's gone on the last few years, I'm not sure that I want any of the staff retained.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Lecter MD View Post

Judging by the player development that's gone on the last few years, I'm not sure that I want any of the staff retained.
                Hence my question.

Comment

Looking at our roster numbers (currently at 12 out of 13 max including all the incomers), what would have happened had Giddens and Ingram stayed? Were we going to tell Trendon Watford that we didn't have room for him? That's almost certainly not the case, but it appears Johnson was counting on having at least one departure.
                  I think it was a given that Ingram was leaving no matter who coached

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

I think it was a given that Ingram was leaving no matter who coached
                    Wherever he goes, I hope we get them on the schedule. Will be nice to be on the receiving end of those turnovers for a change.

Comment

If cheap is a criterion, I'll just stop following basketball right now.
                      I'm not saying it's a criterion. It's just an added bonus. There's got to be a reason stays around. Folks must think he's got potential, so maybe we should've given him a shot.

Comment

You say that, but we have had guys get better over the past couple of years. Hall improved greatly during his four years, as did Norris. Petty improved a whole lot of his game last season. Unfortunately he forgot how to shoot so it basically undid the gains he made on defense and rebounding. Herb had some turnover problems, but he was a better player this year overall.

Comment

Coach Oats' job has gotten a little harder in the last couple days. Will Wade being reinstated at LSU doesn't help with the recruitment of top in-state talent Trendon Watford this year. Memphis and LSU are considered Alabama's primary competition in that battle. Now the top Alabama HS player for 2020, Jayden Stone, is leaving the state for his senior year (playing ball in Kansas). Stone is ranked the 42nd best player in the nation, and his leaving will make the top prospect in Alabama the 173rd ranked player in the nation for 2020. Yikes.

Comment

If watford comes, we bought the hell out of him.

Comment

Coach Oats' job has gotten a little harder in the last couple days. Will Wade being reinstated at LSU doesn't help with the recruitment of top in-state talent Trendon Watford this year. Memphis and LSU are considered Alabama's primary competition in that battle. Now the top Alabama HS player for 2020, Jayden Stone, is leaving the state for his senior year (playing ball in Kansas). Stone is ranked the 42nd best player in the nation, and his leaving will make the top prospect in Alabama the 173rd ranked player in the nation for 2020. Yikes.
                              Hanni -- I get why you think this but isn't there still a cloud over the LSU BB program? That recording of Wade talking payoff is still out there. Won't that give some recruits something to think about, like wondering what's next??

Comment

Originally posted by McBaman View Post

Hanni -- I get why you think this but isn't there still a cloud over the LSU BB program? That recording of Wade talking payoff is still out there. Won't that give some recruits something to think about, like wondering what's next??
                                I'm sure that will enter into some decisions. I still think they're more of a threat in recruiting with Wade reinstated than they would have been if they were still in flux or had someone knew. He's got relationships built with the recruits, and he crafted a good year.

Comment

Working...
                                X