No announcement yet.

Financial advisor testifies to paying CFB players - including Alabama players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Financial advisor testifies to paying CFB players - including Alabama players

Blazer was in the position to financially advise NFL players because, per his Tuesday testimony, he paid college football players at some of the biggest schools in the sport for more than a dozen years. His experience in that space led him to be the spark for the FBI's investigation into college basketball.

On Tuesday, Blazer testified under direct examination that he directed payments to football players from Alabama, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Northwestern and North Carolina between the years 2000 and up until 2013-14.

"I paid them," Blazer said from the witness stand, noting that he did so in hopes that players would sign with him as their financial advisor.

And plenty did.

Though Blazer did not provide names, he did offer specifics regarding a couple of instances. For example, he testified that -- back in 2009 -- he paid $10,000 to the father of a Penn State player who was the 11th overall pick in that year's NFL Draft.

Blazer testified that he did so at the encouragement of a Penn State assistant coach who informed Blazer that the player's family was under some financial distress. The payment was by check and the transaction happened at the home of the Penn State coach. At the time, Penn State's head coach was Joe Paterno. Blazer noted this meeting was arranged by a Nittany Lions assistant and made no reference to any other Penn State coach.

The timeline matches with that of former Penn State linebacker Aaron Maybin, who was drafted that year by the Buffalo Bills with the 11th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. Blazer said the prospect's father did pay him back the $10,000 after he turned pro.

"The coach wanted the player to consider staying," Blazer said. "The player was leaning on coming out."

The meeting was arranged so Blazer could be in charge of Maybin's money when he went to the NFL.

Blazer also testified he paid money to a former first-round pick from North Carolina who was drafted in 2009 by the New York Giants. Blazer's testimony correlates to former UNC wide receiver Hakeem Nicks. Blazer testified that after paying the UNC player and procuring his services, he successfully went on to recruit other North Carolina football players.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-2000-to-2014/

The payments were made between 2000 and 2014, according to tweets from reporters in the courtroom. They would range from $100 to $3,000 a month via Western Union, CBS Sports reported.

So, what does this mean from an NCAA compliance standpoint?

First, none of the reporting to this point indicates Blazer named any recipients of the alleged payments. He gave context clues for at least one player at Penn State but didn’t use his name.

Any potential NCAA investigation into these allegations would seemingly hinge on Blazer identifying the recipients of these payments in court. Since the NCAA does not have subpoena powers over someone outside of its athletics departments or those intending to work/compete under their umbrella, there would be no requirement for Blazer to cooperate with any potential investigation that could result from this.

AL.com has reached out to the University of Alabama for reaction but has not received one as of publication.

There is also the matter of the NCAA’s statute of limitations.

The NCAA doesn’t typically investigate allegations of violations after four years. There are four exceptions to that, according to the NCAA website.
    • The eligibility of a current student-athlete
    • A pattern of willful violations that began before the four-year window but continue into the four-year window or
    • A blatant disregard for certain fundamental rules (recruiting, extra benefits, academics, ethical conduct) or
    • An effort to conceal violations.

Any such allegation of cash payment to a player or recruit would qualify as an extra benefit but would it be considered “blatant disregard” for the rule?

Of course, that is all for discussions down the road if that road even materializes.
    https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2...-it-means.html

Comment

Comment

The only sources that I have seen have much discussion about this are AL.com (barners anyway) and LSU fans on SECRant.

Comment

The analysis I read yesterday suggested that the payments were for agent rep after schooling and not directing players to schools. Did something else break to involve recruiting?
          "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
          Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
          Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
          Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Comment

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post
            The analysis I read yesterday suggested that the payments were for agent rep after schooling and not directing players to schools. Did something else break to involve recruiting?
            I haven't heard anything more than what's been reported here. Apparently, he made payments or loans to players, in exchange for becoming their agent if they made it to the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Stater View Post

I haven't heard anything more than what's been reported here. Apparently, he made payments or loans to players, in exchange for becoming their agent if they made it to the NFL.
              I thought I saw last night that the only payments to Bama players were from 2000-2004 but I cant locate that info for verification.
              barney_stinson_signature_by_schub3rt.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Barney Stinson View Post

I thought I saw last night that the only payments to Bama players were from 2000-2004 but I cant locate that info for verification.
                If that's the case, the statute of limitation has run out.

Comment

Working...
                X