NCAA thinking (just thinking) about sharing the wealth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA thinking (just thinking) about sharing the wealth

The NCAA made a potentially game-changing announcement on Tuesday, appointing a working group to examine issues related to student-athletes using their name, image and likeness. Member representatives from all three NCAA divisions will comprise the working group, co-chaired by Big East commissioner Val Ackerman and Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith.

The working group will now discuss the potential for a student-athlete to own the rights to his or her own name, image and brand, among other aspects, potentially allowing a student-athlete to gain monetarily off their own status.

....... Are we closer to college-athletes being paid?

Yes and no. If student-athletes are able to benefit (read: make money) from their name, image and likeness, then yes, we're closer to college athletes being paid. But the announcement from the NCAA makes it clear that this should not be mistaken as a discussion about players being paid to play college sports. It's mentioned no fewer than four times in the official NCAA release.
    Are college sports video games back on the table? It's among the key questions the NCAA faces in its image and likeness debate.
    "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
    Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
    Nick Saban 06/13/2018
Working...
X