To Kill a Mockingbird....Roll Tide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Kill a Mockingbird....Roll Tide

Harper Lee might not be the first Alabaman who comes to mind as someone who loved Alabama’s football team. In fact she might be the last. But as she once put it: “I was a rabid football fan long before I was a writer.”

Like most rabid fans, she watched every Alabama game. Unlike most of her kind, she once skipped the Cannes Film Festival to meet Bryant. “Bear talked about literature, and I talked about football,” Lee said at the time. She was so interested in hearing people talk about football that she even listened to ESPN host Paul Finebaum’s radio show.

This passion was such a powerful force in the lives of Nelle Harper and Alice Lee that the sisters purchased their first television in part because they had to watch football. Alice died in 2014 and Nelle Harper in 2016, and they remained fans as Nick Saban restored the Crimson Tide to glory.

And in true FAU/AllBarn fashion, Pat Dye f's things up....

The former Auburn football coach Pat Dye found himself on the receiving end of her letters after befriending Lee near the end of her life. He’d read her novel—“To Kill a Blackbird,” he once called it—and begged for an introduction.
    The author of “To Kill a Mockingbird” watched every Crimson Tide game and wrote letters about Bear Bryant—including this one.
    "There were no arguments, those were ass chewings....."
    Nick Saban 9/10/2016

“I don’t know who is driving all this stuff, but to me it’s kind of like mouse manure when you’re up to your ears in elephant doo-doo,"
    Nick Saban 05/29/2018

“You’re ruining the game with RPOs and illegal guys downfield. And you think it should be legal. You think it’s normal. Kiss my ass.”
    Nick Saban 06/13/2018

Originally posted by quack quack bang View Post
    Harper Lee might not be the first Alabaman who comes to mind as someone who loved Alabama’s football team. In fact she might be the last. But as she once put it: “I was a rabid football fan long before I was a writer.”

Like most rabid fans, she watched every Alabama game. Unlike most of her kind, she once skipped the Cannes Film Festival to meet Bryant. “Bear talked about literature, and I talked about football,” Lee said at the time. She was so interested in hearing people talk about football that she even listened to ESPN host Paul Finebaum’s radio show.

This passion was such a powerful force in the lives of Nelle Harper and Alice Lee that the sisters purchased their first television in part because they had to watch football. Alice died in 2014 and Nelle Harper in 2016, and they remained fans as Nick Saban restored the Crimson Tide to glory.

And in true FAU/AllBarn fashion, Pat Dye f's things up....

The former Auburn football coach Pat Dye found himself on the receiving end of her letters after befriending Lee near the end of her life. He’d read her novel—“To Kill a Blackbird,” he once called it—and begged for an introduction.
    Not a subscriber to WSJ. Can't read it.

Comment

Working...
    X